Three miles west of Coldstream, the England–Scotland border comes down from the hills and runs beside the Tweed for the rest of its journey to the sea. Coldstream itself is still a small town, with a mix of attractive 18th- and 19th-century buildings. Like Gretna Green, this was once a place where runaway couples from the south could come to get married in a time when the marriage laws of Scotland were more lenient than
those of England. A plaque on the former bridge tollhouse recalls this fact.
The town is also celebrated in military history: in 1659 General Monck raised a regiment of foot guards here on behalf of his exiled monarch, Charles II of England (1630–85). Known as the Coldstream Guards, the successors to this regiment have become an elite corps in the British army.