- Make a splash in the Peterhof Fountains The grounds surrounding Peterhof's Great Palace (nicknamed the "Russian Versailles") are filled with whimsical fountains. Beware, though trick fountains in the Lower Park might douse you in a burst of water.
- Let the glow of the Amber Room embrace you The original carved amber panels that once filled a room in Catherine's Palace went missing during World War II and their whereabouts remain a mystery. The panels have been painstakingly re-created and are a wonder to behold.
- Stroll in Ekaterininsky Park The landscaped park on the grounds of Pushkin (Tsarskoye Selo) contains mirror-effect lakes, vast lawns, and impressive views of Catherine Palace. Enjoy a picnic lunch here in the summer.
- Get a glimpse of Russian naval might in Kronshtadt Experience a Russian navy town, taking in the Baltic Sea air as you tour.
- Walk on the wild side in Gatchina Park A lovely walk around Silver Lake is a charming escape from city fuss. You might see newlyweds attaching locks to a small bridge—a Russian wedding tradition.
FODOR'S GO LIST 2015
The top 25 places we think should be on every traveler's radar this year.More