Cais da Ribeira (Ribeira Pier)
Cais da Ribeira (Ribeira Pier) Review
A string of fish restaurants and tascas (taverns) are built into the street-level arcade of timeworn buildings along this pier. In the Praça da Ribeira, people sit and chat around an odd, modern, cubelike sculpture; farther on, steps lead to a walkway above the river that's backed by tall houses. The pier also provides the easiest access to the lower level of the middle bridge across the Douro, the Ponte Dom Luis I. Boats docked at Cais da Ribeira and across the river in Vila Nova da Gaia offer various cruises around the bridges and up the river to Peso da Régua and Pinhão.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $168 & up -- Portugal: 5-Star Lisbon Hotel thru Summer Sofitel Lisbon Liberdade
we have spent 17 wonderful days on the islands Sao Miguel, Sao Jorge and Pico in the Azores (Portugal) and I would like to share my trip report with lots of photos with you.
Hope you enjoy:
Portugal, Trip Report 21-30 April 2013
I am a widely traveled senior citizen (78), US born, now retired, and have visited all continents except Antarctica. Read more
We have the possibility of going to either Lisbon or Seville for 4 days (in Januray!).
I haven't been to any of the two cities before.
Which one of the places would you recommend?
Thank you. Read more
· News & Features
There are many more than just eight reasons to visit Portugal at any given time, but with a sweep of rece ... Read more
River cruising in Portugal's Douro River Valley—a delightful region comprised of old-world villages... Read more