- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Fodor's Essential Italy
Museo Correr Review
This museum of Venetian art and history contains an important sculpture collection by Antonio Canova and important paintings by Giovanni Bellini, Vittore Carpaccio (Carpaccio's famous painting of the Venetian courtisans is here), and other major local painters. It's the main repository of Venetian drawings and prints, which, unfortunately, can be seen only by special arrangement. It also houses curiosities such as the absurdly high-sole shoes worn by 16th-century Venetian ladies (who walked with the aid of a servant). The city's proud naval history is evoked in several rooms through highly descriptive paintings and numerous maritime objects, including ships' cannons and some surprisingly large iron mast-top navigation lights. The museum also has a room devoted entirely to antique games. The Correr exhibition rooms lead directly into the Museo Archeologico, which houses the Grimani collection—an important 16th- and 17th-century collection of Greek and Roman art—and the Stanza del Sansovino, the only part of the Biblioteca Nazionale Marciana open to visitors.
- Address: Piazza San Marco, Ala Napoleonica (opposite the basilica) Piazza San Marco, Venice, 30124 | Map It
- Phone: 041/2405211
- Cost: Museums of San Marco Pass €16, includes entry also to the Museo Archeologico, the Bliblioteca Marciana, and the Palazzo Ducale. Free with MUVE pass.
- Hours: Apr.–Oct., daily 10–7; Nov.–Mar., daily 10–5. Last entry 1 hr before closing
- Website: www.museiciviciveneziani.it
- Vaporetto: Vaporetto: Vallaresso, San Zaccaria.
- Location: Piazza San Marco
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
February 2014 Sicily Trip Report
We found February an excellent time to travel to Sicily. Read more
Well, here we are finally in Sorrento. Read more
Staying in Rome for 5 nights, family of 5. Read more
· News & Features
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting. ... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more
Kick off spring with some of this year's best events and hotel packages in Washington, D.C.... Read more