- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Rome Hotel Reviews
It's the click of your heels on inlaid marble, the whisper of 600-count Frette sheets, the murmured "buongiorno" of a coat-tailed porter bowing low as you pass. It's a wrought-iron balcony for your morning cappuccino, a white umbrella on a roof terrace, a 400-year-old palazzo with Casanova's name in the guest book. Whatever your Roman holiday hotel fantasy, Audrey Hepburn couldn't have had it better. Dolce Vita, here you come.
There are more luxury lodgings, bed-and-breakfasts, and designer "boutique" hotels in Rome than ever before, but if you prefer more modest accommodations (because really, who comes to Rome to hang out in the hotel room?), you still have plenty of options. There are many mid-range and budget hotels and pensioni (small, family-run lodgings) available. You may also consider staying at a monastery or convent, a hostel, or an apartment.
If fancy is what you're looking for, you're bound to find it on the Via Veneto and the Spanish Steps area. On the flip side, many of the city's cheapest and modest accommodations are scattered near the Stazione Termini. But for the most authentic Roman experience, stay in or near the centro storico (the historic center).
Breakfast is an increasingly popular trend in new millennium Rome. High-end places generally serve a full American-style breakfast including eggs and bacon, cereals, and cold-cuts. However, most still consist of a lighter more traditional Italian breakfast: a Continental-style buffet of pastries, cereal, cold cuts, juice, and cappuccino. Proprietors are also becoming more conscientious about hotel appearance, opting for updated—or at least, tastefully simple—decor.
Browse Rome Hotels
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $2324 & up -- Italy by Rail: 8-Nt. Multi-City Trip w/Air Great Value Vacations
- $2149 -- 7-Night All-Inclusive European Cruise in Suite MSC Cruises
- $2108 & up -- Italy: 6-Nt. 3-City Escape w/Breakfast & Air — $2,108 Sceptre Tours
- $399 & up -- Fall 7-Night Mediterranean Cruises — $399 MSC Cruises
- $1399 & up -- Taste of Italy: 6-Night Escape w/Air & Taxes — $1,399 go-today