St. Brigid's Cathedral
St. Brigid's Cathedral Review
The Church of Ireland St. Brigid's Cathedral is where the eponymous saint founded a religious settlement in the 5th century. The present cathedral, with its stocky tower, is a restored 13th-century structure. It was partially rebuilt around 1686, but restoration work wasn't completed for another 200 years. The stained-glass west window of the cathedral depicts three of Ireland's greatest saints: Brigid, Patrick, and Columba. In pre-Christian times Druids gathered around a sacred oak that stood on the grounds and from which Kildare (Cill Dara), or the "church of the oak," gets its name. Also on the grounds is a restored fire pit reclaimed from the time of Brigid, when a fire was kept burning—by a chaste woman—in a female-only temple. Interestingly, Brigid started the place for women, but it was she who asked monks to move here as well.
- Address: Off Market Sq., Kildare Town, Co. Kildare, Co. Kildare
- Phone: /
- Cost: €2
- Hours: May–Sept., Mon.–Sat. 10–1 and 2–5, Sun. 2–5.
- Location: Kildare Town