- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Vörösmarty tér Christmas Market
Vörösmarty tér Christmas Market Review
If you are lucky enough to be in Budapest in December, you may be able to get all your Christmas shopping done in one fell swoop at this old-fashioned market at Vörösmarty tér, in front of the famous Gerbeaud coffeehouse. The facade of Gerbeaud itself is blanketed with a colorful Advent calendar that counts the days to Christmas. The city of Budapest wisely restricted the goods sold at this market to include only handmade, traditional crafts so you won't find any tacky, plastic holiday kitsch here. Handmade paper diaries, wrought-iron candle sticks, fur hats, wooden toys, and an exquisite array of handmade ornaments are for sale. Many Hungarian ceramic artists have stalls here as well. Concerts take place most evenings, when shoppers are keeping warm with hot mulled wine and Christmas sweets. The market is open from 9 am to 7 pm every day beginning the first weekend in December.
- Address: District V, Vörösmarty tér, Around Deák Ferenc tér, Budapest
- Metro M1: Vörösmarty tér.
- Location: Around Deák Ferenc tér
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
As promised I'm making a start on this overdue TR. Read more
Feeling so guilty, I haven't even started a TR. Read more
My wife and I plan on visiting Eastern Europe in May for about a month. Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more