- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Vörösmarty tér Christmas Market
Vörösmarty tér Christmas Market Review
If you are lucky enough to be in Budapest in December, you may be able to get all your Christmas shopping done in one fell swoop at this old-fashioned market at Vörösmarty tér, in front of the famous Gerbeaud coffeehouse. The facade of Gerbeaud itself is blanketed with a colorful Advent calendar that counts the days to Christmas. The city of Budapest wisely restricted the goods sold at this market to include only handmade, traditional crafts so you won't find any tacky, plastic holiday kitsch here. Handmade paper diaries, wrought-iron candle sticks, fur hats, wooden toys, and an exquisite array of handmade ornaments are for sale. Many Hungarian ceramic artists have stalls here as well. Concerts take place most evenings, when shoppers are keeping warm with hot mulled wine and Christmas sweets. The market is open from 9 am to 7 pm every day beginning the first weekend in December.
- Address: District V, Vörösmarty tér, Around Deák Ferenc tér, Budapest
- Metro M1: Vörösmarty tér.
- Location: Around Deák Ferenc tér
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Spring seems to have arrived early here in Central Europe, and as ex-pats in a rented house we are blissfully free from most of the usual weekend chores that kept us home in the U.S. So, no better time Read more
I want to share with the community information and my experience of my trip to Hungary ( from 31 January to 3 February 2014 )
I visited: Budapest - Eger - Szentendre
To see my photo gallery click on the Read more
We will be traveling from Brno to Budapest in June. Read more
· News & Features
In our inaugural Ask Fodor's column, one of our editors editor gives advice on how to travel by rail ... Read more
Pack light and still look great on your next camping trip with these 10 low-maintenance beauty products.... Read more
Castles, lakeside resorts, bang-for-your-buck Hawaii finds, and dazzling hotel gardens—it's... Read more