Sts. Ulrich and Afra
Sts. Ulrich and Afra Review
Standing at the highest point of the city, this Catholic basilica with an attached Protestant chapel symbolizes the Peace of Augsburg, the treaty that ended the religious struggle between the two groups. Built on the site of a Roman cemetery where St. Afra was martyred in AD 304, the original structure was begun in the late-Gothic style in 1467. St. Afra is buried in the crypt, near the tomb of St. Ulrich, a 10th-century bishop who helped stop a Hungarian army at the gates of Augsburg in the Battle of the Lech River. The remains of a third patron of the church, St. Simpert, are preserved in one of the church's most elaborate side chapels. From the steps of the magnificent altar, look back along the high nave to the finely carved baroque wrought-iron and wood railing that borders the entrance. As you leave, look into the separate but adjacent church of St. Ulrich, the Baroque preaching hall that was added for the Protestant community in 1710, after the Reformation.
View deals in The Romantic Road for vacation packages, hotels, airfare, and more from our partners!More