The Rhineland Sights

Advertisement

Guidebooks

Schloss Johannisberg Review

The origins of this grand wine estate date from 1100, when Benedictine monks built a monastery and planted vines on the slopes below. The palace and remarkable cellars (tours by appointment) were built in the early 18th century. There are tastings at the estate's restaurant. To get here, first head to Winkel, to the west of Oestrich. From itsmain street, drive north on Schillerstrasse and proceed all the way uphill. After the road curves to the left, watch for the left turn to the castle.

    Contact Information

  • Address: Weinbaudomäne Schloss Johannisberg, Geisenheim-Johannisberg, D–65366 | Map It
  • Phone: 06722/70090
  • Hours: Wineshop: Mar., Apr., and Oct., weekdays 10–6, weekends 11–6; May–Sept., weekdays 10–6, weekends 11–7; Nov.–Feb., weekdays 10–6, weekends 11–5
  • Website:
  • Location: Oestrich-Winkel
Updated: 11-14-2013

Fodorite Reviews

Be the first to review this property

Advertisement

View more trip reports

View more travel discussions

· News & Features

View more blog stories