- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Oestrich's vineyard area is the largest in the Rheingau. Lenchen and Doosberg are the most important vineyards. You can sample the wines at the outdoor wine-tasting stand, opposite the 18th-century wine-loading crane on the riverbank of Oestrich (nearly opposite Hotel Schwan).
The village of Winkel (pronounced vin-kle) lies west of Oestrich. A Winkeler Hasensprung wine from the fabulous 1811 vintage was Goethe's wine of choice during his stay here with the Brentano family in 1814.
Oestrich-Winkel at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Rhineland
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book in Cologne Fr $89+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $14/night less
- Explore Cologne For Less! Book Fr $57+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $28/night less
- Hot Deal on a 7 Nt Cruise! Uniworld Boutique Cruises Fr $2,539 Expedia
- 3-Star Monopol Fr $86+/Nt — $86 Save with Hotels.com, $529/night less
- D?sseldorf Savings! Book at Burns Art Duesseldorf Fr $130+/Nt — $130 Expedia