- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
The half-timber houses and historical facades on Deidesheim's Marktplatz make a handsome group. Sites of interest include the Gothic Church of St. Ulrich, the Rathaus, and the elegant Hotel Deidesheimer Hof. In August, the Deidesheim Weinkerwe (wine festival) begins at the Markplatz, and in December, it's the site of a lively Christmas market.
Deidesheim is the first of three Wine Road villages that are renowned for their vineyards and the wine estates in the area, known as the Three Bs of the Pfalz—Bassermann, Buhl, and Bürklin-Wolf. As for Deidesheim itself, it's got some romantic restaurants tucked into hidden courtyards and some of the most upscale hotels in the region—though the main reason to visit remains the chance to taste some of the best wines the Pfalz has to offer at the numerous Weingüter (wineries) lining the streets. Most are open to visitors daily year-round.
Deidesheim at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Pfalz and Rhine Terrace
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's