- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
This broad street of shops—Hamburg's major thoroughfare—cuts through the city's Altstadt. Built between 1908 and 1911 to connect the main train station to the town hall, but only open to taxis and buses, the street is perfect for a stroll. Home to the Karstadt and Galeria Kaufhof department stores, electronics mega-store Saturn, as well as a host of global brand stores from Adidas to Zara, it swells with local and out-of-town shoppers on Saturday and public holidays. The best cafés and restaurants tend to be found on side streets off Mönckebergstrasse, where the rents for shop space are generally not as high.
- Address: Altstadt, Hamburg, 20095
- U-bahn: Mönckebergstrasse (U-bahn), Hauptbahnhof (U-bahn/S-bahn), Jungfernstieg (U-bahn).
- Location: Altstadt
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
In early September 2013, we had a trip to Europe, covering 14 cities in 15 days. Read more
Early in 2014, DH learned that he might be making several overseas business trips in the next few months; we decided if one was during my March week-long break from teaching and we could get a seat with Read more
I apologize in advance for any grammar mistake as French is my first language. Read more
· News & Features
This new museum and family research center tells the fascinating story of German emigration to the United ... Read more
If you’re considering a European getaway to a city where biking everywhere is the norm, digging... Read more