- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Cider it isn't. Apfelwein (apple wine), the quintessential Frankfurt drink, is more sour than sweet. To produce Apfelwein, the juice of pressed apples is fermented for approximately eight weeks. Its alcohol content of 5%-7% makes it a touch stronger than beer. Straight up, it is light and fizzy. You can also try it carbonated with seltzer (Sauergespritzer), or sweetened with lemonade (Süssgespritzer).
Apfelwein is drunk from a lattice-patterned glass called a Gerippte. When among friends, it is poured from blue stoneware pitchers called Bembels, which range in size from big (a liter) to enormous (4 liters and up).
Popular throughout the state of Hesse, locals drink Apfelwein with pride. The largest concentration of Frankfurt's Apfelwein establishments is in the old neighborhood of Sachsenhausen. Look for establishments with a pine wreath hanging over the door; this signifies that Apfelwein is sold.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- German Holidays! Flights to Frankfurt From 565 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Special Offer! Save 10%!: Senator Frankfurt in May Save with Expedia, $9/night less
- Frankfurt Savings! Book at Niederraeder Hof Fr $87+/Nt Save with Expedia, $9/night less
- Frankfurt 3.5-Star Hotel Sale! 4 Nts + Air Fr $996 Expedia
- Explore Frankfurt with Uniworld Boutique Cruises, 7 Nts Fr $2,489 Expedia