- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Château-musée Grimaldi Review
Haut-de-Cagnes's steep-cobbled Vieille Ville is crowned by the fat, crenellated Château Grimaldi, built in 1310 by the Grimaldis (who now rule over Monaco) and reinforced over the centuries. You are welcomed inside the château by a grand Renaissance courtyard, off which are vaulted medieval chambers, adorned with, among other things, a vast Renaissance fireplace, a splendid 17th-century trompe-l'oeil fresco of the fall of Phaëthon from his sun-chariot, and three small specialized collections: the history of the olive, memorabilia of the cabaret star Suzy Solidor, and a collection of modern Mediterranean artists, including Cocteau and Dufy. Across the château's plaza, take some time to explore the grand Chapelle Notre-Dame-de-la-Protection, nearly hidden inside some medieval buildings—the Italianate bell-tower gives it away. The chapel is open to the public on weekends during the same hours as the Château-musée.
- Address: Pl. Grimaldi, Cagnes-sur-Mer, 06800
- Phone: 04–92–02–47–30
- Cost: €4; €6 joint ticket with Musée Renoir
- Hours: Oct.–May, Wed.–Mon. 10–noon and 2–5; June–Sept., Wed.–Mon. 10–noon and 2–6.
- Location: Haut-de-Cagnes
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
We saw London, we saw France and lots more.
Day 1 (9/18) Amsterdam
Well I have put off this trip report long enough so here goes. I am writing this to pay forward the help and advice which I received from Read more
WARNING: This trip report will be dry (not as in witty, but as in the text book you repeatedly drooled over in college), possibly long-winded, and totally ignore most restaurants in Paris. Read more
I have been planning this trip for over a year and a half. Read more
· News & Features
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting. ... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more
Kick off spring with some of this year's best events and hotel packages in Washington, D.C.... Read more