- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Château-musée Grimaldi Review
Haut-de-Cagnes's steep-cobbled Vieille Ville is crowned by the fat, crenellated Château Grimaldi, built in 1310 by the Grimaldis (who now rule over Monaco) and reinforced over the centuries. You are welcomed inside the château by a grand Renaissance courtyard, off which are vaulted medieval chambers, adorned with, among other things, a vast Renaissance fireplace, a splendid 17th-century trompe-l'oeil fresco of the fall of Phaëthon from his sun-chariot, and three small specialized collections: the history of the olive, memorabilia of the cabaret star Suzy Solidor, and a collection of modern Mediterranean artists, including Cocteau and Dufy. Across the château's plaza, take some time to explore the grand Chapelle Notre-Dame-de-la-Protection, nearly hidden inside some medieval buildings—the Italianate bell-tower gives it away. The chapel is open to the public on weekends during the same hours as the Château-musée.
- Address: Pl. Grimaldi, Cagnes-sur-Mer, 06800
- Phone: 04–92–02–47–30
- Cost: €4; €6 joint ticket with Musée Renoir
- Hours: Oct.–May, Wed.–Mon. 10–noon and 2–5; June–Sept., Wed.–Mon. 10–noon and 2–6.
- Location: Haut-de-Cagnes
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Hi we are just back so I am going to start a bit as I remember things! Read more
It might be a bit cruel to show something that nobody will ever see again, but I thought it might be useful to show how alert one must be to capture brief events in Paris (or anywhere else) that can be Read more
We are an Australian family planning a camping holiday along the Atlantic coast of Portgual, Spain and France for 5 weeks during July and August ( no choice with timeframe unfortunately). Read more
· News & Features
Premium economy is the budding class of the airline world, but deciding on a carrier (and whether it’s ... Read more
San Juan's balmy temperatures, gorgeous beaches, and charming, historic buildings make it the perfec... Read more
Keep an open mind and a flexible schedule on your next getaway.... Read more