- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Fodor's Paris 2014
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Église St-Germain-des-Prés Review
Paris's oldest church was built to shelter a simple shard of wood, said to be a relic of Jesus's cross brought back from Spain in AD 542. Vikings came down the Seine and sacked the sanctuary, and Revolutionaries used it to store gunpowder. Yet the elegant building has defied history's abuses: its 11th-century Romanesque tower continues to be the central symbol of the neighborhood. The colorful 19th-century frescoes in the nave are by Hippolyte Flandrin, a pupil of the classical master Ingres; and the Saint Benoit chapel contains the tomb of philosopher René Descartes. Step inside for spiritual nourishment, or pause in the square to people-watch—there's usually a street musician tucked against the church wall, out of the wind. The church stages superb organ concerts and recitals. See the website for details.
- Address: Pl. St-Germain-des-Prés, St-Germain-des-Prés, Paris, 75006 | Map It
- Phone: 01-55-42-81-10
- Hours: Mon. 2:30–6:45, Tues.–Fri. 10:30–noon and 2:30–6:45, Sat. 10:30–1; Mass Mon.–Fri. 12:15 and 7, Sun. 9, 11, 5, and 7
- Website: www.eglise-sgp.org
- Metro St-Germain-des-Prés.
- Location: St-Germain-des-Prés
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Hi we are just back so I am going to start a bit as I remember things! Read more
It might be a bit cruel to show something that nobody will ever see again, but I thought it might be useful to show how alert one must be to capture brief events in Paris (or anywhere else) that can be Read more
We are an Australian family planning a camping holiday along the Atlantic coast of Portgual, Spain and France for 5 weeks during July and August ( no choice with timeframe unfortunately). Read more
· News & Features
Tired of following the pack? ... Read more
The City of Light is a must-see destination this spring, with a flurry of top-tier museum shows, dining... Read more
In the fashionable streets of Le Marias lie remnants from Paris's sometimes turbulent history.... Read more