- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Pinacothèque de Paris
Pinacothèque de Paris Review
The Pinacothèque, one of the city's most original art spaces, stages a steadily rotating calendar of crowd-pleasing shows by marquee names such as Van Gogh, Vermeer, and Munch. Exhibitions are often quirky, bringing together masters and lesser-known artists whose work share a link, such as Modigliani and the French artist Chaïm Soutine. Director Marc Restellini is used to stirring things up. When he opened the Pinacothèque in 2003, skeptics wondered whether Paris needed another museum: the crowds lined up out front answered those critics. Note that in 2011, Restellini opened a second space at 8 rue Vignon (steps away from the main one behind the Église de la Madeleine), with a small but notable permanent collection that blends periods and styles. A Rembrandt hangs alongside a Pollock surrounded by African statuary, united under the theme Primitivism. For the popular shows, pay €1.50 more to buy a ticket online and cut the line.
- Address: 28 pl. de la Madeleine, Opéra, Paris, 75008 | Map It
- Phone: 01–42–68–02–01
- Cost: €10 one show or permanent collection; €17 2 shows; €22 all shows and permanent collection
- Hours: Daily 10:30–6:30, Wed. and Fri. until 9
- Website: www.pinacotheque.com
- Metro Madeleine.
- Location: Around the Louvre
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
We spent a week at the end of May exploring the Dordogne from a base near Sarlat-la-Canéda. Read more
Bikerscott and I celebrated our 11th wedding anniversary in Paris last weekend and thought I would share our pictures and restaurants.
We usually stay in the 11th but I have always wanted to try Le Marais Read more
Hi we are an Australian family of 2 adults and 2 children (11 and 8) who are planning on visiting family in Malta and incorporating a 5 week European holiday( as it is very expensive for 4 of us to fly Read more
· News & Features
France is a famous lure for its art, culture, and fine wine, and now visitors are falling for Cognac,... Read more
Choosing a destination for your honeymoon can prove nearly as challenging a task as finding "the one."... Read more
After four long years of renovations, Paris's Palais Galleria finally reopens its doors, treating its... Read more