This little movie house has a distinguished history: when it opened in 1928, it was the first theater in the world purposely built for art et essai, or experimental film (Luis Bruñel and Salvador Dali's L'age d'or caused a riot when it premiered here). Through the years artists and writers came to see "seventh art" creations by directors such as Jean Cocteau, François Truffaut, and Orson Welles. Today it's a repertory cinema, showing first-runs, just-runs,
and previews—usually in their original language. In the back of the movie house is a cozy bar and café that has a quiet outdoor terrace decorated with murals of film stars. Oh, and those charmingly bizarre chandeliers in the salle? Cocteau designed them.