- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's London 2014
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Highgate Cemetery Review
Highgate is not the oldest cemetery in London, but it is probably the best known. After it was consecrated in 1839, Victorians came from miles around to appreciate the ornate headstones, the impressive tombs, and the view. Such was its popularity that 19 acres on the other side of the road were acquired in 1850, and this additional East Cemetery contains what may be the most visited grave—of Karl Marx (1818–1883)—and those of a host of other famous names, including George Eliot (1819–1880) and Malcolm McLaren (1946–2010). At the summit is the Circle of Lebanon, a ring of vaults built around an ancient cypress tree—a legacy of 17th-century gardens that occupied the site. Leading from the circle is the Egyptian Avenue, a subterranean stone tunnel lined with catacombs, itself approached by a dramatic colonnade that screens the main cemetery from the road. Both sides are impressive, with a grand (locked) iron gate leading to a sweeping courtyard built for the approach of horses and carriages. By the 1970s the cemetery had become unkempt and neglected until a group of volunteers, the Friends of Highgate Cemetery, undertook the huge upkeep. Tours are arranged by the Friends, and they will show you the most notable graves among the huge variety of statues and memorials once hidden by overgrowth. East side tours are limited to 15 and tickets are sold on a first come, first served basis. The west side is accessible only by tour, though these can be booked ahead. You're expected to dress respectfully, though in practice this just means erring on the conservative side. Children under eight are not admitted; nor are dogs, tripods, or video cameras.
- Address: Swains La., Highgate, London, N6 6PJ | Map It
- Phone: 020/8340–1834
- Cost: East Cemetery £3, tours £7; West Cemetery tours £7. No credit cards.
- Hours: Daily; usually Apr.–Oct. 10–5, Nov.–Mar. 10–3:30, but call ahead as hrs vary according to whether a funeral service is scheduled. East Cemetery tours, Sat. 2. West Cemetery tours, Mar.–Nov., weekdays 1:45, weekends hourly 11–3.
- Website: www.highgate-cemetery.org
- Tube: Archway, then Bus 210, 271, or 143 to Highgate Village.
- Location: Regent's Park and Hampstead
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
First … thank you so much to all who helped with suggestions. Read more
We saw London, we saw France and lots more.
Day 1 (9/18) Amsterdam
Well I have put off this trip report long enough so here goes. I am writing this to pay forward the help and advice which I received from Read more
Alright, seasoned travelers, here is a very rough sketch of my itinerary for the summer. Read more
· News & Features
The new Rosewood London is London's latest luxury property, touting a hip twist on Edwardian style, complete ... Read more
'Tis the season at London Heathrow, which almost seems like a giant shopping mall with an airport attached.... Read more
The beacons of hotel-cool are at it again, this time across the pond.... Read more