- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's London 2014
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Highgate Cemetery Review
Highgate is not the oldest cemetery in London, but it is probably the best known. After it was consecrated in 1839, Victorians came from miles around to appreciate the ornate headstones, the impressive tombs, and the view. Such was its popularity that 19 acres on the other side of the road were acquired in 1850, and this additional East Cemetery contains what may be the most visited grave—that of Karl Marx (1818–1883), only one of several notables interred here. At the summit is the Circle of Lebanon, a ring of vaults built around an ancient cypress tree—a legacy of the 17th-century gardens that formerly occupied the site. Leading from the circle is the Egyptian Avenue, a subterranean stone tunnel lined with catacombs, itself approached by a dramatic colonnade that screens the main cemetery from the road. Both sides are impressive, with a grand (locked) iron gate leading to a sweeping courtyard built for the approach of horses and carriages. By the 1970s the cemetery had become unkempt and neglected until a group of volunteers, the Friends of Highgate Cemetery, undertook the huge upkeep. Tours are conducted by the Friends, who will show you the most interesting graves among the numerous statues and memorials once hidden by overgrowth. The West side is accessible by tour only, which you must pre-book for weekdays but not weekends. Tours of the East side on Saturdays are first come, first serve. You're expected to dress respectfully, so forego the shorts and baseball cap. Children under eight are not admitted; nor are dogs, tripods, or video cameras.
- Address: Swains La., Highgate, London, N6 6PJ | Map It
- Phone: 020/8340–1834
- Cost: East Cemetery £4, tours £8; West Cemetery tours £12. No credit cards.
- Hours: East: Mar.–Oct., daily 10–5; Nov.–Feb., weekdays 10–4, weekends 11–4. Tours, Sat. at 2. Last admission 30 mins before closing. Hrs may vary according to funeral service schedule — call ahead. West: Tours Mar.–Nov., weekdays at 1:45, weekends half-hourly 11–3.
- Website: highgatecemetery.org
- Tube: Archway, then Bus 210, 271, or 143 to Highgate Village.
- Location: Regent's Park and Hampstead
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Happened to log on and noticed a couple of people asking how we got on in London! Read more
Last night I had dinner in the Aqua restaurant in the Shard, on the 31st floor, with my colleagues, to celebrate a profitable six months, and the hard work and long hours put in by the team Read more
Hi to All, As usual, I'm starting my TR ahead of the trip (about a month) so others can gauge how much pre-planning they need. Read more
· News & Features
The new Rosewood London is London's latest luxury property, touting a hip twist on Edwardian style, complete ... Read more
'Tis the season at London Heathrow, which almost seems like a giant shopping mall with an airport attached.... Read more
The beacons of hotel-cool are at it again, this time across the pond.... Read more