Café Under Masken (Under the Mask Café)
Café Under Masken (Under the Mask Café) Review
The Café Under Masken, next door to the Royal Hotel, is the creation of Århus artist Hans Krull, who also designed the iron sculptures at the entrance to the hotel. The surreal bar is crammed with every type of mask imaginable, including grinning Balinese wooden masks and black-and-yellow African visages. Pygmy statues and stuffed tropical birds and fish line the shelves, and the back wall is lined with aquariums filled with exotic fish. Everything was collected by Krull and bar patrons. As the manager puts it, "Everyone's welcome. This bar is a no-man's-land, a place for all the 'funny fish' of the world." If that's not enough of a draw, consider that the drink prices are some of the lowest in town, and more than 30 kinds of beer are on offer. It's open Monday through Saturday until 2 am, and Sunday until midnight.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's