Nightlife & the Arts in Copenhagen
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Nightspots are concentrated in several areas including in and around Strøget; in Vesterbro, with its main drag on Vesterbrogade just across from Tivioli Gardens; and on Istegade, where you'll find some of the trendier bars and cafés. The area just off Kongens Nytorv on Gothersgade is also a nightlife hub. Nørrebro has lots of student cafés and bars, many around Sankt Hans Torv, and there are some upscale spots in Østerbro.
Copenhagen used to be famous for jazz, but that has changed, with many of the best clubs closing down. However, you can find nightspots catering to almost all musical tastes, from ballroom music to house, rap, and techno. There are also plenty of trendy clubs where DJs provide the sound tracks.
Restaurants, cafés, bars, and clubs stay open after midnight, a few until 5 am. The club scene can be fickle—new venues crop up regularly, often replacing last year's red-hot favorites. Call ahead or check out Copenhagen This Week (www.ctw.dk) and the English newspaper, The Copenhagen Post (www.cphpost.dk) for current listings.
Browse Copenhagen Nightlife
Browse Copenhagen Nightlife By Location
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's