Nightlife & the Arts in Copenhagen
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Nightspots are concentrated in several areas including in and around Strøget; in Vesterbro, with its main drag on Vesterbrogade just across from Tivioli Gardens; and on Istegade where you'll find some of the trendier bars and cafés. The area just off Kongens Nytorv on Gothersgade is also a nightlife hub. Nørrebro has lots of student cafés and bars, many around Sankt Hans Torv, and there are some upscale spots in Østerbro.
Copenhagen used to be famous for jazz, but that has changed, with many of the best clubs closing down. However, you can find nightspots catering to almost all musical tastes, from ballroom music to house, rap, and techno. There are also plenty of trendy clubs where DJs provide the sound tracks.
Restaurants, cafés, bars, and clubs stay open after midnight, a few until 5 am. The club scene can be fickle—new venues crop up regularly, often replacing last year's red-hot favorites. Call ahead or check out Copenhagen This Week (www.ctw.dk) and the English newspaper, The Copenhagen Post (www.cphpost.dk) for current listings.
Browse Copenhagen Nightlife
Browse Copenhagen Nightlife By Location
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book Now & Save! Flights to Copenhagen From 505 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Book 3 Nts in Copenhagen this May Fr $203+/Nt Expedia
- Visit Copenhagen for Less: Hotels Fr $189+/Nt Travelocity
- Explore Europe with Royal Caribbean International Fr $1,529 Expedia
- Destination Denmar! Travel to Copenhagen From $947 RT — $947+ STA Travel