Shopping in Vienna
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Strolling down the pedestrian-only streets of Kärntnerstrasse, Graben, and Kohlmarkt, shopaholics can readily give into their passion. Sleekly cut dresses and intricately crafted jewelry beckon from the windows of shops formerly occupied by purveyors to His Imperial Majesty. Even the Swedish clothing store H&M presents itself in exclusive garb. Located on Graben near St. Stephen's Cathedral, it has found a home in the mahogany-clad building that was once home of the department store of Braun & Co. Where baronesses once bought fur muffs, tattooed teens now rummage for cheap T-shirts. Luxury brands such as Hermès, Burberry, and Cartier have set up shop on or around Kohlmarkt, the street leading up to the Hofburg.
As you walk along Michaelerplatz, in front of the imperial palace, be sure to explore the little passageway next to the Michaeler Church. You'll find a few wonderful shops selling precious stones and silverware. If you want to venture further afield, explore Mariahilfer Strasse, Vienna's best-known shopping mile outside of the city center. Running from MuseumsQuartier to Westbahnhof, it's peppered with such department stores as Peek & Cloppenburg, Gerngross, and La Stafa. Lindengasse, which runs parallel to Mariahilfer Strasse, is home to young designers who sell their wares in little boutiques. The creativity continues on nearby Kirchengasse and Burggasse.
Browse Vienna Shopping
Browse Vienna Shopping By Location
- South of the Ringstrasse: the 6th and 7th districts
- The Eastern City Center: Stephansdom and Medieval Vienna
- The Inner City Center: Baroque Gems and Vienna's Shopwindows
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's