- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Augustinerkirche (Augustinian Church)
Augustinerkirche (Augustinian Church) Review
Built during the 14th century and presenting the most unified Gothic interior in the city, the church is something of a fraud—the interior dates from the late 18th century, not the early 14th— though the view from the entrance doorway is stunning: a soaring harmony of vertical piers, ribbed vaults, and hanging chandeliers that makes Vienna's other Gothic interiors look earthbound by comparison. Note on the right the magnificent Tomb of the Archduchess Maria-Christina, sculpted by the great Antonio Canova in 1805 (his own tomb was to look just like this), with mourning figures trooping into a pyramid. The imposing Baroque organ sounds as heavenly as it looks, and the Sunday-morning high mass (frequently works by Mozart or Haydn) sung here at 11 can be the highlight of a trip. To the right of the main altar in the small Loreto Chapel stand silver urns containing some 54 hearts of Habsburg rulers. This rather morbid sight is viewable after mass on Sunday or by appointment.
- Address: Josefsplatz, 1st District, Vienna, A-1010
- Phone: 01/533-7099-0
- U-Bahn: U3/Herrengasse.
- Location: The Hofburg
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Austrian Vacation! Flights to Vienna From 505 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Book in Vienna: Save at the Das Triest in May Fr $412+/Nt Save with Expedia, $144/night less
- Small budget: Book Mercure Wien City 3 Nts in May Fr $182+/Nt Save with Expedia, $28/night less
- Hot Deal on a 8 Nt Cruise! Avalon Waterways Fr $2,327 Expedia
- NH Belvedere on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $127+/Nt — $127 Save with Expedia, $22/night less
My husband and I are at the tail end of our 6-week trip, and he has been writing a travel blog. I thought I would post that here, and also the links to the pictures that go with each. Read more
I had received a lot of valuable information in this forum, which was very helpful. Read more
We have eight days at the end of June to visit the Dolomites and surrounding areas.
We will fly roundtrip into Munich. The main focus of this trip is to hike in the Dolomites and Ortisei seems like a grea Read more
· News & Features
The Palais Hansen Kempinski Vienna opened its doors last month for the first time since the 1873 World... Read more
Despite what it may seem like, with its rich classical music and architectural roots, Vienna is an incredibly... Read more
Art fanatics take note: Hotel Sans Souci will have you salivating as soon as you step through the doors.... Read more