- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Filzmoos, one of the most romantic villages in Austria, is still a well-kept secret. Though skiing in the nearby Dachstein mountains is excellent, the inexpensive winter resort (which is part of the Salzburger Sportwelt ski area) has yet to be discovered by foreign tourists. During the summer months meandering mountain streams and myriad lakes attract anglers eager for trout, while hikers come to challenge the craggy peaks.
Filzmoos calls itself a "balloon village," not only for the International Hot Air Balloon Week every January, but because it relies heavily on hot-air balloons to show its guests the region.
Filzmoos at a Glance
Elsewhere in Eastern Alps
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe