Eastern Alps Travel Guide
Plan Your Eastern Alps Vacation
The whole Eastern Alps region is dramatic countryside, with breathtaking scenery and great winter sports equal to those in Switzerland. Here majestic peaks, many well over 9,750 feet, soar above slow-moving glaciers that give way to sweeping Alpine meadows ablaze with wildflowers in spring and summer. The land is full of ice caves and salt mines, deep gorges, and hot springs; it is countryside to drive and hike and ski through, where people live simply, close to the land.
This part of Austria is relatively inexpensive, except for the top resort towns of Bad Gastein and Zell am See. Even there,... read more
While this region contains fine restaurants—in fact, two of the country's top dozen dining establishments are... read more
Things To Do in Eastern Alps
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
In early September 2013, we had a trip to Europe, covering 14 cities in 15 days. Some of them were passing through, but we still had a v... Read more
This is a long overdue trip report on our first trip to Europe during summer 2013. A little background: We are a family with two lit... Read more