Eastern Alps Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Top Reasons to Go to the Eastern Alps
Drive the Grossglockner Highway: As long as weather conditions permit this crossing, this panoramic road is Austria's most famous mountain pass and an absolute must.
Take pictures at Heiligenblut. Of all the picture-book images in the country, this jewel of a photo-op town has to be the winner, with its slender church steeple and gorgeous mountain backdrop.
Eisriesenwelt. Literally translated to "the giant ice world," this wonder of nature is, in fact, one of the biggest ice caves in the world—don't miss this unforgettable experience.
The Great Outdoors. A paradise for skiers in winter and hikers in summer has a broad choice of activities for any taste.
"Take the cure" at Bad Gastein. This is, perhaps, the most famous of all Alpine mountain spas.Updated: 06-2013
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's