- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Raglan Surf Co.. If you're itching to hit the waves, stop by this top surfing store. Starting out as a factory and producing high-performance boards for years, it now stocks homegrown boards as well as the leading brands. The shop also rents surfboards, wet suits, and boogie boards, and staffers pass along helpful, local surf tips. 3 Wainui Rd., Raglan, 3225. 07/825–8988. www.raglansurf.com.
Raglan Surfing School. Past and even present national surfing champions often work as instructors at this surfing school. A three-hour beginner session, including board and wet suit, is around NZ$89 and ends with a sauna experience. Surf Adventure Packages run two to five days and include transport, daily surfing lessons, free saunas and accommodation, and other adventures, such as rappelling, paragliding, and jet-boating. A choice of "surf dames," women's and luxury surfing retreats, is offered throughout the year. The school (and surf beaches) is a little out of town, but transportation is provided throughout Raglan. The school also rents boards and wet suits at Ocean (Ngarunui) Beach, November–April, daily 9:30–5. Rental boards are available from the surf school in winter. 5b Whaanga Rd., Whale Bay, Raglan, 3296. 07/825–7873. www.raglansurfingschool.co.nz.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's