- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Canterbury is a roughly rectangular province, with a natural boundary formed by the Main Divide (the peaks of the Southern Alps) in the west and stretching from near Kaikoura in the north down to the Waitaki River in the south. This chapter focuses on the section of Canterbury near the main city of Christchurch, including Banks Peninsula, the Waipara wine country, the ski town of Methven, and the alpine resort town of Hanmer Springs, north and west of the city, plus the towns sprinkled on the plains to the south. The chapter also includes Arthur's Pass National Park, a few hours northwest of Christchurch by car or train and a great mountain day trip from the city.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's