Construction of Rippon Lea, a sprawling polychrome brick mansion built in the Romanesque style, began in the late 1860s. By the time it was completed in 1903, the original 15-room house had expanded into a 33-room mansion. Notable architectural features include a grotto, a tower that overlooks a lake, and humpback bridges. There is also a fernery and an orchard with more than 100 varieties of heritage apples and pears. In summer, plays are performed on the grounds, and the annual Teddy Bear's Picnic each February attracts big crowds. Access to the house is by guided tour only. To get here, take a Sandringham line train from Flinders Street Station; it's a 15-minute ride south of the city center.