- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Watsons Bay Review
Established as a military base and fishing settlement in the colony's early years, Watsons Bay is a charming suburb, with a popular waterfront pub, that has held on to its village ambience despite the exorbitant prices paid for tiny cottages here. Unlike Watsons Bay's tranquil harbor side, the side that faces the ocean is dramatic and tortured, with the raging sea dashing against the sheer, 200-foot sandstone cliffs of The Gap.
Macquarie Lighthouse. When the sun shines, the 15-minute cliff-top stroll along South Head Walkway between The Gap and the Macquarie Lighthouse affords some of Sydney's most inspiring views. Convict-architect Francis Greenway (jailed for forgery) designed the original lighthouse here, Australia's first, in 1818. Old South Head Rd., Vaucluse, Sydney, NSW, 2030. To reach Watsons Bay either take the ferry or buses 324 or 325 from Circular Quay. Bus 324 goes past the lighthouse.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
do you ever play golf in Bali? Read more
DH and I will be heading to Australia in 6 short days. Read more
I can't remember what thread we talked about this so am starting up a new thread.
Now that we are closer to our trip I know much more about our schedule while down around Sydney. It's not ideal, but i Read more
· News & Features
There's something wonderfully comforting about an old-school ski resort. ... Read more
Arts and culture are celebrated as much as the world-class beaches in St.... Read more
Travelers to Belize will find a fairy-tale landscape of white-sand beaches, lush rain forests, and soaring... Read more