Taxis are an efficient and affordable option for getting around Singapore, which has nearly 20,000 strictly regulated, metered taxis. Most companies charge S$2.40 for the first km (0.62 mi), but thereafter may charge S$.10 for each subsequent 225 meters (738 feet) or 240 meters (787 feet). Every 30 seconds of waiting time when the taxi isn't moving carries an S$.10 charge. Drivers carry tariff cards, which you may see if you want clarification of your tab. You can catch cabs at taxi queues or by hailing them from any curb not marked with a double yellow line. Alternatively, you can call a taxi ahead of time; most taxi stands have ads with a destination code and phone number to call to have a taxi automatically dispatched to you. Drivers don't expect tips.
Be aware of several surcharges that may apply. For starters, at peak hours on busy roads, the additional Electronic Road Pricing (ERP) charge will be added to the metered fare, shown on the upper display of the cab's In-Vehicle Unit. An S$3.20 charge is added for taxis booked by phone (there's an additional S$2 surcharge for every booking half an hour or more in advance of a trip). Trips made between midnight and 6 AM have a 50% surcharge, and rides from, not to, the airport carry a S$3 surcharge (S$5 Fri.-Sun., 5 PM-midnight). A S$1 surcharge is added for all trips in London cabs and station wagon taxis; an extra 10% of the fare is charged for payment by credit card.
Comfort CabLink. 6552-1111.
Tibs. 6481-1211. www.smrttaxis.com.sg.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- ASAP Tickets Sale! Flights to Singapore From 757 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Wangz on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $228+/Nt Expedia
- Visit Singapore for Less: Hotels Fr $116+/Nt Travelocity
- 4-Star Singapore Sale! 4 Nts + Air Fr $1591 Expedia
- See Asia & More: 13 Nts Aboard Princess Cruises Fr $1,639 Expedia