Because senior-citizens engender a high level of respect in Asian culture, Singapore is an ideal place for mature travelers to get a taste of Asia. Nearly everyone speaks English; getting around by public transit is safe, clean, and inexpensive; world-class medical facilities abound; the water is safe to drink, even from the tap (this reflects the high standard of hygiene found almost everywhere); and there are ample cultural, historical, and shopping sites. Some sites offer promotional discounts for seniors—ask when you book tickets.
To qualify for age-related discounts, mention your senior-citizen status up front when booking hotel reservations (not when checking out) and before you're seated in restaurants (not when paying the bill). Be sure to have identification on hand. When renting a car, ask about promotional car-rental discounts, which can be cheaper than senior-citizen rates.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe