The Eastern & Oriental Hotel's colonial charm is displayed in top form in its much revered restaurant, 1885, named for the year in which the hotel was established. Quintessential afternoon tea is served with scones, cucumber sandwiches, and cakes presented on an elegant three-tier plate, along with clotted cream. The dinner menu is always changing but offers top cuts of meat and fresh seafood served in a contemporary Western style. The real draw is the classic fine-dining setting, which includes glowing candles, white linen, and fresh flowers. Try and score a table by the windows for a view of the surrounding architecture and manicured lawns.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
We planned our trip to Bandhavgarh and Khajuraho after our friends visited and the way they narrated their experience was really tempting. Read more
Three families traveled to the island of Borneo in July 2012 for an incredible 2 week wildlife adventure. Read more
So, I finally have our itinerary set. Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more