- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Japanese Phrases
Avant-garde performances of live Tsugaru-jamisen—the Japanese banjo—by young and promising performers and national champs are the main attraction here, more so even than the food. Jams take place evenings at 7:30 and 9:30. Arrive early to sit on cushions on the floor, in local style, and enjoy seasonal vegetables, sashimi, and such dishes as grilled eggplant (¥600) and grilled scallops (¥800). Although a good selection of Tsugaru sake helps provide a merry time, performers humbly ask you to be all-ears, if not totally quiet, when they play.
- Address: 44-1 Oyakata, Hirosaki, 036-8201
- Phone: 0172/32-6684
- Hours: Closed Sun. No lunch.
- Location: Hirosaki
- No credit cards.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Sendai Savings! Book 3 Nts in Jun Fr $178+/Nt Save with Expedia, $66/night less
Trip Report Kyushu May 2013
I will try to trace our Kyushu trip for forum members and those interested in this part of Japan.
Here is basic itinerary
0-- Depart Hawaii, Hawaiian Air - Honolulu -Fukuoka Read more
We are back, and I am jotting down a few things quickly while my mind is still fresh.
First off: thanks to the many Japanophiles here on Fodors who infected us with their enthusiasm: hawaiiantraveller, Read more
Here are the train segments we need. Read more
· News & Features
You've heard of Lake Como (thanks to George's exploits), but halfway between Milan and Venice lies Italy's... Read more
Need we say more?... Read more
On the tip of Mexico's Baja Peninsula, sun-drenched Los Cabos draws in everyone from honeymooners and... Read more