Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Itinerary for Autumn Hokkaido + Tohoku (North to South)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2024, 04:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All

Thanks to feedback in my recent post, I've settled on Hokkaido and Tohoku for autumn 2025. Now I need to start pulling together an itinerary.

I'm looking at September / October and travelling North to South, so we'd fly in to Tokyo, take a domestic flight to one of the airports in Northern Hokkaido (not sure best starting point yet) and work our way downwards.

We can take between 4 and 6 weeks for the trip, I'll base that on how the itinerary shapes up.

As it's an autumn trip, obviously we'll skip destinations that are all about snow and sea ice.

I've read through and made notes from MrWunrfl's many posts and from HawaiianTraveller's 2009 autumn trip for Hokkaido and various reports covering parts of Tohoku. I've also been looking at the suggested regional itineraries on Japan Guide.

For Hokkaido I've got the following places on my list but need to work out order, number of nights per place, and where it's best to drive / take the train. We love driving in Japan so would definitely like to have a car where it gives more flexibility.
  • Shiretoko National Park / Utoro
  • (Abashiri seems to be only for sea ice in winter so I'm skipping)
  • Akan-Mashu National Park
  • Tsurui / Kushiro (for the cranes)
  • Daisetsuzan National Park
  • Sounkyo Onsen
  • Asahidake Onsen
  • Asahikawa
  • Biei / Furano (for flower fields if still in bloom in September)
  • Sapporo
  • Otaru
  • Lake Tōya
  • Noboribetsu hot springs
  • Hakodate
For Tohoku my list so far includes:
  • Shimokita Peninsula (incl Mount Osore
  • Towada Art Center (en route)
  • Lake Towada / Oirase Valley
  • Nyuto Hot Spring + Lake Tazawa
  • Kakunodate
  • Hiraizumi (en route)
  • Sendai + Matsushima
  • Yamadera (en route)
  • Zao Onsen
  • Dewa Sanzan
  • Niigata
  • Ōmaru Onsen (from HT's trip)
I'd be grateful for any input on places I've missed, places I've listed that don't make sense for autumn, thoughts on best modes of transport for various parts of the itinerary, thoughts on how long to stay at each place, and anything else at all you think may be useful!

Thank you so much!
Kavey

Old Mar 16th, 2024, 10:32 AM

Nobo before Toyako
Towadako to Nyuto Onsenkyo and Tazawako would be a bit of a trip by bus/rail, iirc, but good by car. Check the 'how to get there' on japan-guide for travel between the two lakes.

Definitely look for 2023 fall colors predictions and reports. I mentioned before that an American couple told me the colors were excellent at the university in Sapporo near the station. Pretty certain that spot is Botanic Garden Hokkaidō University. That was on November 4-ish. That seems late but you know the timing depends on altitude as well as latitude and maybe Sapporo has some terrain advantage.

Ginzan Onsen is in the area that you are traveling. That place looks special but I had no luck finding lodging in the town.

I might give Tohoku another shot at the end of October.
Old Mar 16th, 2024, 10:42 AM

I can recommend a few places to add to your Tohoku section

Aomori has a very good reconstructed Jomon site, plus a few other attractions

Akita museum of art has a collection of Leonard Foujita, the "japanese impressioninst". The place closes randomly and was closed the day I went specifically to see it. Hachiko was an Akita hound.

Yokote is known for its kamakura igloo festival in winter. There's a kamakura hall that preserves a couple of igloos in a massive refrigerator. You can look through the big display window or go inside. It's -10 and a sign says "please remove your shoes", yeah right.

Sakata has a lot of interest. Kaikoji has two sokushinbutsu. There's a teahouse that has maiko performances (the only? ones outside Kyoto).

Good coastal scenery going south to Niigata

Enzoji (on the way to) Aizuwakamatsu: castle, Iimoriyama (suicidal last stand), Hideyo Noguchi's place (that's him on the 1,000Y bill).

Gogo-an, hut of zen poet Ryōkan Taigu. One way to access it is by a spectacular pedestrian suspension bridge from nearby Kokujoji

Then going down the other coast:

Jodogahama

A lot of Japanese folk stories are from Tono, and there is a museum. Nearby: 500 Rakan (these are not what you might expect, google it), edo-period farmhouse (a change from the usual samurai places)

Takkokui No Iwaya in Hiraizumi, and Geibikei and other scenic gorges--see my description and photos in https://adumbrate.org/pics/walks (also see there for the grave of Jesus Christ)

500 Rakan in Hoonji, Morioka. No photos allowed so you won't find a lot online. Trust me, they are worth seeing.

Last edited by someotherguy; Mar 16th, 2024 at 11:01 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Mar 16th, 2024, 08:32 PM

Kavey, just a few dining suggestions for Hakodate, all near Hakodate Station.

Near the morning market are a number of seafood restaurants specializing in seafood donburi (rice bowls) popular for breakfast. Soup Curry is a popular Hokkaido dish great in cold weather with several shops in the area.

Ajisai Ramen is from Hakodate and specializes in shio (salt) based soup as opposed to miso ramen which is a Hokkaido specialty. They also have shoyu and miso ramen on their menu.

Nemuro Hanamaru is a kaiten sushi restaurant with branches in Tokyo as well. We were quite pleased with the quality of fish served there. It wasn’t up to some of the $100+ per person meals we’ve had elsewhere, but for less than $20 apiece it was well worth it. Of course there are some fine sushi restaurants in Hakodate if you prefer.

Finally Lucky Perriot is a beloved Hakodate restaurant chain for their take on western food, a bit quirky but could be fun for a change of pace.

Daimon Yokocho could be an option, lots of small stalls and choices to dine as long as you don’t mind a crowded, tight, smokey place.

Last edited by curiousgeo; Mar 16th, 2024 at 09:27 PM.
Old Mar 17th, 2024, 05:24 AM

We were in Hokkaido & Tohoku last Aug/September though we only had 2 weeks. Our focus in Tohoku was on buying traditional kokeshi (so if that is of iinterest at all I can tell you tons of great places). but we hit the tourist spots as well. Definitely agree with someotherguy's suggestions of Aomori & Aizu Wakamatsu. If you are ramen fans hitting Kitakata for morning ramen is a must. Morioka is a nice town, best to visit on a Saturday when they have their weekly afternoon market. Mount Osore was really cool and worth the long drive (we visited from Aomori) as was Noboribetsu. We stopped at Lake Towada on the way between Morioka & Aomori.

We started in Tokyo, took the train to Koriyama where we picked up the car, drove north ending in Aomori where we returned the car & then took the train to Hakodate. From there it was train to Noboribetsu & on the Sapporo then plane back to Tokyo. So reverse order of yours. We thought about keeping the car & using a ferry to take it over to Hokkaido but it seems like an unnecessary expense since we were only doing Hakodate, Noboribetsu & Sapporo. But for your trip it might make sense to have one the entire time. Or maybe two rentals, one in Hokkaido & one in Tohoku?
Old Mar 17th, 2024, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mrwunrfl
Nobo before Toyako
Towadako to Nyuto Onsenkyo and Tazawako would be a bit of a trip by bus/rail, iirc, but good by car. Check the 'how to get there' on japan-guide for travel between the two lakes.
Fab, have noted both suggested order and transport reco.

Definitely look for 2023 fall colors predictions and reports. I mentioned before that an American couple told me the colors were excellent at the university in Sapporo near the station. Pretty certain that spot is Botanic Garden Hokkaidō University. That was on November 4-ish. That seems late but you know the timing depends on altitude as well as latitude and maybe Sapporo has some terrain advantage.
We'll likely try and book flights with airmiles so will do so 11 months ahead, but I'll check out the reports for 2023 (and when they're available, for 2024) and see if that helps me. Excellent suggestion, thank you!

Ginzan Onsen is in the area that you are traveling. That place looks special but I had no luck finding lodging in the town.
I'll check it out, thank you!

I might give Tohoku another shot at the end of October.
Ohh then I shall no doubt benefit from your own planning!
​​​​​​​
Old Mar 17th, 2024, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by someotherguy
I can recommend a few places to add to your Tohoku section
Fantastic, thank you so much, I've added all of those to my notes and map to look into further!
Did any of your trips fall in autumn season by any chance? Particularly when it comes to Yokote, is it worth visiting aside from the igloo festival as we'd be out of season for that.
Thanks again!

Old Mar 17th, 2024, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by curiousgeo
Kavey, just a few dining suggestions for Hakodate, all near Hakodate Station.
Aaah thank you, you know how much I loooove to integrate food into our travel planning! Will look up all of these, thank you!
Old Mar 17th, 2024, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by valgalchi
We were in Hokkaido & Tohoku last Aug/September
Thank you so much for this, have made notes and added places to my map.
I love the Kitikata ramen mention, this post is from our first trip to Japan when we were too intimidated to go into any of the places along Piss Alley but instead ended up in this little place round the corner from one end of the alley. https://www.kaveyeats.com/kitakata-r...ss-alley-tokyo

I would be interested in your notes on Kokeshi dolls, especially if there's a place known for their manufacture where we could visit and see that in action, as well as buying.

And good point on car rentals, I can look up whether it's cheaper to get two separate rentals or to keep the same car throughout, will depend on where and when we need a car for the itinerary. Thank you so much!

Old Mar 17th, 2024, 08:08 AM

There are certain onsen towns in Tohoku where kokeshi originated, with each of the particular towns having their own style (Tsuchiyu, Naruko, Zao, Tsugaru etc). One of my favorites is the Tsuchiyu style and in Tsuchiyu onsen there are two artisans that have their own shops. The shops also have little booths where they make the kokeshi. Kunitoshi Abe has a shop & workshop in town. He wasn't there the first time we went by but showed up right before we were leaving town so I was able to tell him (with Google translate) how much I like his kokeshi. He's one of the younger people making kokeshi today in his 50's. He is pretty popular because in addition to traditional dolls he created a smiley tilted head kokeshi that caught on with the Japanese Instagram crowd. A lot of the kokeshi makers are making some cutesy dolls in order to try to bring a younger crowd into collecting. Strangely it seems like most collectors are older Japanese men! Tadao Watanabe also has a shop & workshop in Tsuchiyu and we were able to see him work and talk to him a bit while buying his kokeshi. Tsuchiyu has a lot of Kokeshi themed things all over town so it makes for a good stop. Our pics are here-
/
Naruko onsen is also a good spot for kokeshi & kokeshi makers. There are a lot of artisans with their own shops/workshops including the very nice (and pricey!) Sakurai Kokeshi run by father & son kokeshi makers. They were not working the day we were there but we were able to see a different artisan making them. Alos a lot of kokeshi all of town Pics here-
/
Zao onsen has their own style. The town doesn't lean as hard into the kokeshi stuff as other spots but there are some shops & the makers do have workshops there (we weren't able to see any being made).

There are of course others like Yajiro Kokeshimura where there are indiividual little huts for the various kokeshi makers (Yajiro style). We were there on a Tuesday and there was only one maker there who we ran into as we were leaving. He was so great, he made a little top on his lathe and had be paint it and then gave it to us He showed us the trees they use and gave a description of the process (it was all in Japanese with a little bit of english but we got the gist). Very friendly & excited to show off his craft.

The links above are from our Flickr account and we have albums for all the spots we went. I have food recs for most of the places too. I always do a ton of food research before our trips. And I've used your blog in the past as well when researching!
Old Mar 17th, 2024, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Kavey
Did any of your trips fall in autumn season by any chance? Particularly when it comes to Yokote, is it worth visiting aside from the igloo festival as we'd be out of season for that.
Thanks again!
My East Coast excursion was summer 2011 (soon after the earthquake and tsunami)..

The others were October/November of different years.

The point of the refrigerated display in Yokote's Kamakura Hall in is so you can see the igloos outside of the festival. It's a minor sight but there's also a castle and other things, and it's only 20 miles or so from Kakunodate.

Let me try pasting a photo (haven't done this before). Here's Kakunodate.

And here's Genbikei Gorge (home of the flying dango).

Last edited by someotherguy; Mar 17th, 2024 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Pasting photo
Old Mar 18th, 2024, 02:42 AM
Original Poster

There are certain onsen towns in Tohoku where kokeshi originated...
Oh thank you so much, this is just the kind of information I love and visiting and engaging with craft makers is something I really love to do.
But you may just be responsible for a new collecting addiction!

Also how lovely to hear you have visited my blog, that makes me so happy!

Last edited by Kavey; Mar 18th, 2024 at 02:44 AM.
Old Mar 18th, 2024, 02:43 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by someotherguy
My East Coast excursion was summer 2011 (soon after the earthquake and tsunami). The others were October/November of different years.

The point of the refrigerated display in Yokote's Kamakura Hall in is so you can see the igloos outside of the festival. It's a minor sight but there's also a castle and other things, and it's only 20 miles or so from Kakunodate.
Aah fantastic, I hadn't quite understood that the igloos in Kakamura Hall are refrigerated and hence available to see all year round. Thank you so much!

Old Mar 18th, 2024, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Updated Tohoku itinerary (adding in some of the places recommended in everyone's responses). Still pretty loose, very much an early draft iteration.

It looks to be about 3 weeks worth of itinerary to me, approximately.
I suspect rental car will be best bet for all of it but need to do some checks on driving routes and times.
Not sure I have the order correct either.
  • Shimokita Peninsula (incl Mount Osore)
  • Aomori
    • Towada Art Center (en route)
  • Lake Towada / Oirase Valley
  • Sanriko coast (east coast) down and in to Morioka (centre)
  • Nyuto Hot Spring + Lake Tazawa
    • ??? Akita on west coast (day trip from Lake Tazawa)
  • Kakunodate
    • ??? Yokote for ice igloos (day trip from Kakunodate)
    • ??? Tono for folk stories / museum (day trip from Kakunodate)
    • Hiraizumi + Geibikei Gorge + Takkoku-no-iwaya bishamondō (day trip from Kakunodate or en route to Matsushima)
    • Sanriku Fukkō National Park (day trip from Kakunodate or en route to Matsushima)
  • Matsushima (or day trip from Sendai)
  • Sendai
    • Yamadera (en route)
    • Okama Crater + Zao Onsen + Zao + Yajiro (for Kokeshi dolls)
  • Ginzan Onsen / Dewa Sanzan
    • Sakata (from Dewa Sanzan)
    • Nakuro onsen (for Kokeshi dolls)
  • Niigata
  • Aizuwakamatsu + Kitakata + Enzoji Temple + Ouchijuku
    • Tsuchiyu (for Kokeshi dolls)
  • Ōmaru Onsen (from HT's trip) + Oze National Park

Last edited by Kavey; Mar 18th, 2024 at 07:58 AM.
Old Mar 18th, 2024, 09:08 AM

Would be easier from Kakunodate. My thinking is based on transport by bus and train. With a car it might make little difference. Ok as a day trip of Tazawako if near the staying near the station. Nyuto Onsen is farther up and I would want to just stay there for two nights. During the full day there I would ride the onsen bus that does a circuit of the onsen ryokan that are part of Nyuto Onsenkyo.

One dish to try in Akita-ken is kiritanpo nabe. I had it at a small place to the right of Tazawako staation. Yummy stuff. It would likely be offered at dinner at a Nyoto ryokan. You could probably find it in Kakunodate and surely in Akita-shi.
Old Apr 1st, 2024, 01:52 AM
Original Poster

I always do a ton of food research before our trips. And I've used your blog in the past as well when researching!
I meant to add, I'd be hugely grateful to have any of your food research, if you were happy to share? Either here or via email, whatever works best for you?
Thanks so much!
Old Apr 1st, 2024, 01:59 AM
Original Poster

Would be easier from Kakunodate. My thinking is based on transport by bus and train. With a car it might make little difference. Ok as a day trip of Tazawako if near the staying near the station. Nyuto Onsen is farther up and I would want to just stay there for two nights. During the full day there I would ride the onsen bus that does a circuit of the onsen ryokan that are part of Nyuto Onsenkyo.

One dish to try in Akita-ken is kiritanpo nabe. I had it at a small place to the right of Tazawako staation. Yummy stuff. It would likely be offered at dinner at a Nyoto ryokan. You could probably find it in Kakunodate and surely in Akita-shi.
We so enjoy driving in Japan that we'll look to have a car but I need to research and understand distances / driving times before confirming that!

Thanks for the food tip, definitely one for me to look for!
Old Apr 1st, 2024, 08:41 AM

I meant to add, I'd be hugely grateful to have any of your food research, if you were happy to share? Either here or via email, whatever works best for you?
Thanks so much!
Absolutely, let me find my notes and I'll write something up. I have very detailed google maps for the places we went as well if that is of interest?
Old Apr 2nd, 2024, 07:04 AM

Ok, found my notes. Sorry this is a lot. Any questions let me know. I had a bunch of other spots researched. These are just the ones we made it to.

Aizu Wakamatsu
Lunch- Tontei for sauce katsudon which is a specialty of the Aizu area. Order at the vending machine, wait upstairs to be called to your seat. Really excellent.

Dinner-Unagi Ebiya. In a nice old building, really good and not too pricey for unagi. Pictures on the menu which worked fine.

Drinks- 日本酒BAR 酒粋心 我流, small sake bar up some stairs. It was just us and the owner. He had a really great selection of Aramasa sake. Not a ton of english but we had a great time chatting using google translate.

Shopping- great spot if interested in furikake, curry mixes and other food stuff (I believe the idea is it’s stuff that goes with rice).

Kitakata

Umeya- morning ramen, had to wait a little but not too bad, very good ramen, sit & order (no vending machine)

Sendai

We tried the tongue at 2 spots- Gyutan Kaku - Vlandome & Umami Tasuke. We liked Umami Tasuke best (both good though). Pretty sure they both had english menus (or at least pictures)

Dinner- Jiraiya, izakaya, the food here was excellent, it was also the priciest place we ate though we did order the wagyu beef. They have a really great sake that’s made just for them. The kinki fish is a specialty but we didn’t get it (very pricey). They have an english menu. Very friendly

Dinner-Oden Sankichi, my husband is a big oden fan so we wanted to get it at least once on the trip. Very friendly spot, they have an english menu, non-oden dishes were also good.

Morioka
We didn’t have an interest in wanko soba but we tried the other two specialties of Morioka at lunch & dinner (jajamen & reimen)

Lunch- Pairon, said to be the originator of Morioka Jajamen, waited in line for this one (in the heat), it was good, it’s very filling, I was actually too full to do the egg at the end. I liked it more than my husband

Dinner- Seiroukaku- yakiniku & reimen, so good! Super popular spot. The meat was great as was their kimchi, the reimen was good as well.

Dinner- Banya Nagasawa- this was good but not great, it didn’t help that we had Jiraiya the night before, they were very nice though and seemed interested to talk about the NYT article. We had tried for Kakashiya but they were booked. Still, a perfectly good 2nd choice.

Aomori
Dinner- Isojima, this was an experience! Everything we had was great but the owner was a character. He was really excited we were there (I don’t think he gets any non-Japanese visitors) and he loved talking to us. Only problem was he didn’t have much english (and we don’t have a lot of Japanese) AND he proceeded to get drunker & drunker as the evening progressed. So there was a lot of the same question asked over & over and gestures like thumbs up. Super nice guy though. And thankfully the kitchen in the back was making most of the food so that was all really good. I checked google reviews recently and another reviewer mentioned it as well.

Lunch-Ramen Ajino-Sapporo (the one at 1 Chome-11-23 Shinmachi,, I think there are two with similar names), the specialty is miso curry milk ramen and it was excellent, my favorite ramen of the trip. Had to wait for this one a while and we were only 4 people or so from the cut off so get there well before they close.

Dinner-Ippachi Sushi, has an english menu, not too pricey, we did sets, we aren’t sushi experts or anything but this was good.

Hakodate
Sumiyaman Meat Man 炭山肉男- we took a bit of a risk (for us) on this one and it paid off. It’s newer so there were only a couple of Tabelog reviews (which I always check) but the google reviews were good and the pics look good so we tried it. It’s a small (like maybe 8 or 10 seats) izakaya on the edge of the Daimon Yokocho. I’d say the food had a little of a western touch maybe? Like the duck was served with a mustard sauce for example (I don’t recall getting a lot of mustard sauces in Japan). No English menu but it translated well. Really great food.

Hakodate Shio Ramen Shinano- Hakodate is known for their shio ramen so we had it here. It was good and it was a chilly rainy day so it hit the spot.

Be sure to try Snaffles if you like cheesecake (they call them catch cakes I believe). You can buy just the cheesecakes (little ones) but I highly suggest you try the parfait version with a snaffles cake on top & a custard/pudding underneath. So good! You can get them at the shop in the red brick buildings.

Sapporo
We are big miso ramen fans so the plan going in was to only eat ramen (and soup curry since that is a specialty). So no izakaya here.

For the ramen I’d say our favorites were Fujiya Noodle and Sapporo Engine. We also had Ramen Shingen which was good but we waited for 90 minutes for that one our last day and it just wasn’t worth that wait.

Soul Store Sapporo- this was the soup curry spot we chose. It was really good and I wish we had skipped Ramen Shingen and gone to another Soup Curry spot instead. They had an english menu that described all of the options.

A few spots outside of the cities

In Naruko Onsen we had lunch at Takahashitei たかはし亭. Picture menu, the tonkatsu curry dish was very good. Tatami seating as well as tables & chairs.

Mount Osore- we visited as a day trip from Aomori and stopped in Mutsu for lunch at Ekimae Shokudo. Very popular local spot, picture menu. Good tonkatsu curry. Their (I assume house made) hot sauce for the curry was very good.

Lake Towada- Lunch at Morita, they have a few local specialties that we tried. My husband had the himemasu (a sort of salmon I believe local to the lake) sashimi set meal and I had the barayaki set meal (the menu calls it the soul food of Towada- stir fried beef & onions in a special sauce). Both very good. There is an English menu

Lake Towada- Towadako Marineblue- lake side cafe with good coffee & apple pie. Has outside seating by the lake
Old Apr 2nd, 2024, 07:13 AM

Oh thank you so much, this is just the kind of information I love and visiting and engaging with craft makers is something I really love to do.
But you may just be responsible for a new collecting addiction!

Also how lovely to hear you have visited my blog, that makes me so happy!
And yes, getting into kokeshi collecting can be dangerous!

my current collection

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -