- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
At a Glance
- lovely garden
- central yet quiet location
- vegetarian meals available upon request
- communal bathing is not for the shy
Friendly service and an internal garden make for a relaxed stay in this quiet mix of old and new. Rooms in the newer wing have suites with private baths, whereas rooms in the old wing share a communal bath. A cha-gayu breakfast is served in the dining room overlooking the garden. Prices include a kaiseki dinner and breakfast, and there are reduced prices for longer stays (three nights or more). Tsubakiso is down a quiet side street in central Nara, about a 10-minute walk from either of the main train stations.
- Address: 35 Tsubai-cho, Nara, 630-8343
- Phone: 0742/22-5330
- Location: Western Nara
- 7 Japanese-style rooms, 3 with bath.
- Rate includes some meals.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $105* -- One-Way Domestic Flights Across Japan Featured Destination: Japan
- $105 & up -- Japan Vacation Deals; Save up to $600 Featured Destination: Japan
- Imperial Japan IExplore
- $874* & up -- Flights to Japan on Sale (R/T, w/Tax) — $874 Featured Destination: Japan
- Imperial Japan — $9,975 IExplore
Trip Report Kyushu May 2013
I will try to trace our Kyushu trip for forum members and those interested in this part of Japan.
Here is basic itinerary
0-- Depart Hawaii, Hawaiian Air - Honolulu -Fukuoka Read more
We are back, and I am jotting down a few things quickly while my mind is still fresh.
First off: thanks to the many Japanophiles here on Fodors who infected us with their enthusiasm: hawaiiantraveller, Read more
As it stands now, we have the following train rides during our October-November stay in Japan:
1. Read more
· News & Features
With a burgeoning food and drink scene, gorgeous green spaces, and festivals galore, Philly should be... Read more
In Spain, the gin and tonic (called "gin tonics") is an art form with carefully chosen gin and small-batch... Read more
Hong Kong is known for great food, buzzing nightlife, inspiring attractions, and for having one of the... Read more