- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
At a Glance
- traditional setting
- beautiful building
- some English is spoken
- no private bath or toilets
- paper walls mean little privacy
Hatago Matsushiro-ya Review
This small ryokan has welcomed guests since 1804. It's definitely a traditional experience: 10 large tatami rooms share a single bath and four clean but old-fashioned pit toilets, and the walls are sliding paper screens. Delicately arranged dinners are served in your room. The ryokan is closed from Wednesday morning to Thursday morning.
- Address: 807 Azuma-Terashita, Minami-Nagiso-machi Kiso-gun, 399-5302
- Phone: 0264/57–3022
- Location: Kiso Valley
- 7 Japanese-style rooms without bath.
- Rate includes some meals.
- No credit cards.
- Closed Wed.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
DH and I spent 3 weeks in Japan from Nov.1-Noiv. 22. By way of introduction, we are both retired, and have traveled extensively over the past 40 years, sometimes on tours and sometimes on our own. With Read more
This was our first trip to Japan. Read more
We have decided to book a flight to japan for next September using miles before uniteds mileage increase kicks in. Read more
· News & Features
From milk and cookies to a full-on Christmas tree (with the option to decorate it yourself), hotels are... Read more
As 2013 comes to a close, there's no slowing down for the Bay Area's restaurant scene.... Read more
Visit the mysterious Land of the Golden Pagodas—Myanmar—with AmaWaterways, starting in Novembe... Read more