- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
At a Glance
- traditional setting
- beautiful building
- some English is spoken
- no private bath or toilets
- paper walls mean little privacy
Check Rates from our Partners
Hatago Matsushiro-ya Review
This small ryokan has welcomed guests since 1804. It's definitely a traditional experience: 10 large tatami rooms share a single bath and four clean but old-fashioned pit toilets, and the walls are sliding paper screens. Delicately arranged dinners are served in your room. The ryokan is closed from Wednesday morning to Thursday morning.
- Address: 807 Azuma-Terashita, Minami-Nagiso-machi Kiso-gun, 399-5302
- Phone: 0264/57–3022
- Location: Kiso Valley
- 7 Japanese-style rooms without bath.
- Rate includes some meals.
- No credit cards.
- Closed Wed.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Now that the flurry of November trip reports has come and gone (they were great!), I figure it’s time for one more, before the reports from spring cherry blossom-viewing visits start to come in. This Read more
After more than a month back from Japan, I’m happy to finally have a bit of a breather that allows me to start a trip report. Read more
I am leaving on a trip to Japan, China, Myanmar and Thailand on March 28 for one month and need to be able to call the US. Read more
· News & Features
After the recent debut of his Grand Cayman-inspired novel The Forever Girl, author Alexander McCall ... Read more
When's the best time to go?... Read more
The world's northernmost capital is a charming destination in all seasons.... Read more