- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Yudanaka Onsen Review
Photographs of snow-covered white macaques cavorting in open-air thermal pools have made Yudanaka Onsen famous. Northeast of Nagano, nine open-air hot springs are between Yudanaka Onsen and Shibu Spa Resort. The onsen where the monkeys soak is known as Jigoku-dani (Hell Valley), and is just east of Yudanaka and Shibu. Yudanaka is the last stop on the Nagano Dentetsu Line; the trip from Nagano takes 40 minutes and costs ¥1,230. Several spas string out from here. The area is not unlike Yellowstone National Park, with its bubbling, steaming, sulfurous volcanic vents and pools. Considerable development, however, including more than 100 inns and hotels, several streets, and shops, ends the comparison. The spas are the gateway to Shiga Kogen (Shiga Heights), site of Olympic alpine skiing and the snowboarding slalom. There are several inexpensive ryokan in Yudanaka, which makes an overnight trip worthwhile if you have time.
- Address: Nagano,
- Location: Nagano and Environs
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book 3-Star Chisun & Conference Center Niigata Fr $98+/Nt Save with Expedia, $10/night less
- Book 3 Nts in Niigata this Jun Fr $85+/Nt Save with Expedia, $9/night less
- Small budget: Stay in Toyama this Jun Fr $134+/Nt — $134 Save with Expedia, $50/night less
Trip Report Kyushu May 2013
I will try to trace our Kyushu trip for forum members and those interested in this part of Japan.
Here is basic itinerary
0-- Depart Hawaii, Hawaiian Air - Honolulu -Fukuoka Read more
We are back, and I am jotting down a few things quickly while my mind is still fresh.
First off: thanks to the many Japanophiles here on Fodors who infected us with their enthusiasm: hawaiiantraveller, Read more
As it stands now, we have the following train rides during our October-November stay in Japan:
1. Read more
· News & Features
With a burgeoning food and drink scene, gorgeous green spaces, and festivals galore, Philly should be... Read more
In Spain, the gin and tonic (called "gin tonics") is an art form with carefully chosen gin and small-batch... Read more
Hong Kong is known for great food, buzzing nightlife, inspiring attractions, and for having one of the... Read more