- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
In a narrow street between Pivot and 4-Chome Plaza buildings (near Mitsukoshi department store downtown), Ebi-Ten (look for the white signs) is on the first floor of a building next to the corner car park lot. The sliding doors behind a blue banner reveal a quiet, homey restaurant, managed for two generations by the very friendly Yamada-san, with years of tempura aroma seeped into the woodwork and Hokkaido taxidermy (look for the bear climbing a tree). Seating is available at the counter, tables, and tatami rooms with cushions. On offer: Japanese soul-food-style tempura, salad, and alcoholic beverages. This writer recommends the same meal he has eaten every time over 25 years: Tendon Setto—a rice bowl with seafood and veggies in season, a delicious homemade miso soup with mushrooms, and tsukemono pickles, with a big mug of green tea to wash it down (¥650). Beer with edamame (boiled salted soybeans) are also recommended as appetizers. This is an ideal downtown oasis for a relaxing, cheap dinner or lunch, where you can unwind and decompress from cultural overload. A basic English menu is available.
- Address: Minami 2, Nishi 4, Chuo-ku, Sapporo, 060-0062
- Phone: 011/271-2867
- Location: Sapporo
- No credit cards.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $105* -- One-Way Domestic Flights Across Japan Featured Destination: Japan
- $105 & up -- Japan Vacation Deals; Save up to $600 Featured Destination: Japan
- Imperial Japan IExplore
- $874* & up -- Flights to Japan on Sale (R/T, w/Tax) — $874 Featured Destination: Japan
- Imperial Japan — $9,975 IExplore
Trip Report Kyushu May 2013
I will try to trace our Kyushu trip for forum members and those interested in this part of Japan.
Here is basic itinerary
0-- Depart Hawaii, Hawaiian Air - Honolulu -Fukuoka Read more
We are back, and I am jotting down a few things quickly while my mind is still fresh.
First off: thanks to the many Japanophiles here on Fodors who infected us with their enthusiasm: hawaiiantraveller, Read more
As it stands now, we have the following train rides during our October-November stay in Japan:
1. Read more
· News & Features
Niagara Falls is a bucket-list-worthy sight to behold, whether you're ogling it from the Canada side, ... Read more
A sculpture of a Greek goddess welcomes you in from the streets of London's Soho neighborhood.... Read more
You've heard of Lake Como (thanks to George's exploits), but halfway between Milan and Venice lies Italy's... Read more