- Terracotta warriors Take in one of the nation's most haunting and memorable sites—the vast life-size army of soldiers, built to outlast death.
- Discover Dunhuang Satisfy your inner archaeologist at the magnificent Mogao caves and scale the shifting slopes of Singing Sand Mountain.
- Seek Solace at Kumbum Monastery Visit one of the six great monasteries of the Tibetan Buddhist sect known as Yellow Hat, reputedly the birthplace of the sect's founder, Tsong Khapa.
- Tour Turpan Discover the ruins of the ancient city-states Jiaohe and Gaochang, destroyed by Genghis Khan and his unstoppable Mongol hordes.
- Kashgar and the Karakorum Highway Explore Central Asia's largest and liveliest bazaar before heading south to the snowcapped Pamir Mountains and crystal clear Karakul Lake.
Need trip ideas? Check out our curated collections of destinations around the globe.More