The Silk Road Travel Guide
Photo: contax66 / Shutterstock
46° Light Rain
Top Reasons To Go
- Terracotta warriors Take in one of the nation's most haunting and memorable sites—the vast life-size army of soldiers, built to outlast death.
- Discover Dunhuang Satisfy your inner archaeologist at the magnificent Mogao caves and scale the shifting slopes of Singing Sand Mountain.
- Seek Solace at Kumbum Monastery Visit one of the six great monasteries of the Tibetan Buddhist sect known as Yellow Hat, reputedly the birthplace of the sect's founder, Tsong Khapa.
- Tour Turpan Discover the ruins of the ancient city-states Jiaohe and Gaochang, destroyed by Genghis Khan and his unstoppable Mongol hordes.
- Kashgar and the Karakorum Highway Explore Central Asia's largest and liveliest bazaar before heading south to the snowcapped Pamir Mountains and crystal clear Karakul Lake.
The Silk Road Travel Tips