- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Knysna is starting to gain a reputation as a gourmet destination, and Zachary's, at the Pezula Resort Hotel and Spa, about a 10- to 15-minute drive from Knysna, is helping to cement that reputation. Head chef Geoffrey Murray, former wunderkind of New York's dining scene, cites the availability of quality organic and seasonal produce from farms in the surrounding areas as one of the best things about living here. The dining room is stylish and luxurious, with gold, cream, and splashes of orange, amber, bronze, and copper. The food is fine dining with a local flavor, and the menu changes seasonally. Entrées could include dishes like natural, farmed charmoula (Moroccan-spiced) Karoo lamb loin with eggplant puree and pine nut and pistachio lemon rice, or grilled prawns with vegetable noodles, lime, chilisambal (a spicy chutney-like sauce), and Malaysianlaksa (fish-and-coconut broth). The Friday night Gourmand set menu is the best way to sample the range of Murray's expertise. There's also a brunch menu and lighter lunch menu. With so much amazing food on offer, you have the perfect excuse to come and eat here at any time of the day, and after your first visit you'll want to. As expected, there's an excellent wine list and a sommelier on hand to make recommendations.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3299 -- 10-Nt. South Africa Adventure w/Air, $300 Off Friendly Planet Travel
- Essence of South Africa (12-Day) IExplore
- Cape Town & Namibia — $3,939 IExplore
- Essence of South Africa (14-Day) — $12,790 IExplore
- South Africa - Black Culture Experience — $3,259 IExplore
My husband and I live in Cape Town and it has been our home for the past 25 years – I am from the England.
Most vacations we travel to some far away land with lots of advice from all you guys o Read more
Including international travel from the US and transfers between parks and countries, the entire duration of this trip is about 3 weeks total.
I did the nontraditional part at the start of the trip, bu Read more
I have been attempting to book a trip to Africa for a year now, not sure I am any closer to an itinerary. Read more
· News & Features
Whether as an ending to a South American tour or as a trip of solely outdoor adventures, Patagonia calls... Read more
The Swiss city of Basel is getting ready to host to the who's who of the art world yet again, with the... Read more
Do you suffer from Vacation Deprivation?... Read more