Hiking in Plettenberg Bay
Robberg Nature Reserve. Robberg Nature Reserve, open daily 8–6, has three fabulous walks. The shortest takes about a half hour and offers great views of the ocean. A longer walk (1½ hours) passes above a seal colony and connects to the "island" via a tombolo. At 3 hours or more (up to 4 if you are leisurely), the longest walk goes right to the end of the peninsula. You need to watch the tides on this one. In addition to great sea views, dolphins, whales, birds, and seals, there are fantastic flowers and swimming beaches (make sure to consult the map as to which beaches are safe for swimming, however). Admission is R40, and it's worth taking a picnic. A fascinating archaeological excavation at Nelson's Bay Cave has a display outlining the occupation of the cave over thousands of years. Robberg Rd., near the airport, Plettenberg Bay, 6600. 044/533–2125. www.capenature.co.za. R40. 8–6.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's