- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The Garden Route is ideal for mountain biking. There are four circular trails of varying length and difficulty at Harkerville, starting and ending at the Garden of Eden if you bring your own bike; at the Outeniqua Biking Trail office if you rent one. All the trails are great, but the last 6 km (4 mi) of the Petrus se Brand Trail is widely considered to be the most fun (but not challenging) piece of single track in South Africa. Unlike the others, Petrus se Brand is not circular; it can be done either way between Diepwalle and Garden of Eden. It's tight and twisty, and you'll zip downhill (if you start at Diepwalle) over the springy forest floor, dodging enormous trees. N2, 15 km [9 mi] east of Knysna, Knysna, 6604.
You can rent bikes (R125) from Outeniqua Biking Trails, which is conveniently located right on the forest edge and close to the trails. The SANParks entrance fee is R25. Harkerville. 044/532-7644 or 083/252-7997.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's