- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Tisch Family Zoological Gardens
Tisch Family Zoological Gardens Review
Spread over a scenic 62-acre ridge in the Judean Hills, this zoo has many of the usual species that delight zoo visitors everywhere: monkeys and elephants, snakes and birds, and all the rest. But it goes much further, focusing on two groups of wildlife. The first is creatures mentioned in the Bible that have become locally extinct, some as late as the 20th century. Among these are Asian lions, bears, cheetahs, the Nile crocodile, and the Persian fallow deer. The second focus is on endangered species worldwide, among them the Asian elephant and rare macaws.
This is a wonderful place to let kids expend some energy—there are lawns and playground equipment as well—and allow adults some downtime from regular touring. Early morning or late afternoon are the best hours in summer; budget 2½ hours to see everything. A wagon train does the rounds of the zoo, at a nominal fee of NIS 2 (not on Saturdays and Jewish holidays). The Noah's Ark Visitors Center has a movie and computer programs. The zoo is served by the Circle Tour bus (line 99), and by city routes 26A (from Central Bus Station) and 33 (from Mt. Herzl). The ride is about 30 minutes; a cab would take 15 minutes from Downtown hotels.
- Address: Derech Aharon Shulov, near the Jerusalem Mall Malcha, Jerusalem, 91008 | Map It
- Phone: 02/675–0111
- Cost: NIS 49
- Hours: June–Aug., Sun.–Thurs. 9–7, Fri. 9–4:30, Sat. 10–6; May, Sun.–Thurs. 9–6, Fri. and Jewish holiday eves 9–4:30, Sat. 10–6; Sept.–Apr., Sun.–Thurs. 9–5, Fri. and Jewish holiday eves 9–4:30, Sat. 10–5. Closing times in Apr. and Sept. are sometimes late; call ahead. Last entrance 1 hr before closing.
- Website: www.jerusalemzoo.org.il
- Location: West Jerusalem
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Hi All --
Finally posted my Jordan & Israel trip (April 2012) report. Read more
My first day in Israel, (Tel Aviv on a Saturday), was pretty quiet. Read more
We are two couples in our 60's and 70's who never visited Israel, but have traveled extensively in other countries on our own. Read more
· News & Features
Premium economy is the budding class of the airline world, but deciding on a carrier (and whether it’s ... Read more
San Juan's balmy temperatures, gorgeous beaches, and charming, historic buildings make it the perfec... Read more
Keep an open mind and a flexible schedule on your next getaway.... Read more