- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Arabic Phrases
Halfway between Bur Said and Suez, this quaint city on Lake Timsah was founded by and named after Khedive Ismail for those working on the canal. The director of the Suez Canal Company, Ferdinand de Lesseps, lived here until the completion of the canal, and his home still stands—off-limits, alas—to the public. Ismailiya's population is close to 700,000, and the city is known for its wide streets, expansive public gardens, and cleanliness.
There is a distinct colonial feel in the area known as Hay al-Afrangi (the foreign district), because of the French colonial architecture of the remaining buildings. A stroll down Shara Muhammad Ali leads you along the Sweetwater Canal and eventually to the house of Ferdinand de Lesseps.
Perpendicular to Shara Muhammad Ali, running away from the Sweetwater Canal, Shara Sultan Hussayn has a number of restaurants, stores, banks, and a Thomas Cook office. From here, if you turn left (southwest) onto Shara Saad Zaghloul and walk to Maydan al-Gummhurriya, you'll get a feel for the wide streets and calm pace.
Ismailiya at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Sinai Peninsula and Red Sea Coast
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Small budget: Stay in Hurghada this Jun Fr $74+/Nt Expedia
- Book 4-Star Festival Le Jardin in Hurghada Fr $62+/Nt Save with Expedia, $26/night less
- Hurghada 5-Star Hotel Sale! 4 Nts + Air Fr $1669 Expedia
- Small budget: Book Sol Y Mar Club Makadi 3 Nts in Jun Fr $134+/Nt — $134 Save with Expedia, $27/night less
- 4-Star Hurghada Sale! 4 Nts + Air Fr $1233 — $1,233 Expedia