Carry-on Bag Buyer's Guide: Avoid the New Airline Luggage Fees
The Travel Pack
Red Oxx Skytrain 4.0 lbs. | $255 www.redoxx.comPros: • Lightweight (3½ to 4lbs) but full size • Extraordinarily well-made • Has backpack straps that can be concealed; shoulder strap included
Cons: • Best bags are expensive • No wheels Alternatives: Tom Bihn Aeronaut for $180, eBags Weekender Convertible for $69, LLBean Quick-Load Travel Pack for $99
Traditional Wheeled Carry-On
Eagle Creek Centerline Hovercraft 20 6 lbs, 13 oz. | $185 www.eaglecreek.comPros: • Has wheels for those who don't want to carry their bags • Well-made and durable with heavy zippers and good, strong handles • Designed especially to hold Eagle Creek packing folders and cubes
Cons: • If stuffed too full, may have to be checked • Heavier than non-wheeled bags (wheels add about 3 lbs to most bags) • Packing folders and cubes add more weight and are not included IMPORTANT NOTE: Some 22" wheeled suitcases can be too big for a carry-on when fully packed. Alternatives: Almost every luggage company makes a bag of these dimensions, but a no-name 21" or 22" wheeled suitcase from any big retailer is the cheapest option (about $30).
Rigid Polycarbonate Carry-on
Cons: • Not quite as roomy as soft-sided bags • Handle takes up a fair amount of room inside the bag • Can't be expanded or overstuffed because of the hard case • Shiny polycarbonate scratches easily, though many scuff marks will wash off Alternatives: Titan X2 International Carry-on 21" ($550), Zero Halliburton 21" polycarbonate expandable ($206).
Wheeled Carry-on Duffle
Cons: • Duffles can be awkward to store in some overhead bins. • Because of shape, some airlines will ask you to check this bag. • Can tip over if you turn quickly. Alternatives: ebags Mother Lode Mini 21" Wheeled Duffle ($149). From the Forums: "The soft-side style may be important for getting carry-on successfully. I saw a tip from an airlines employee. She said that sometimes even if your rigid-side carry-on is not over the 21" maximum, if the plane is crowded they may come through and make you check it. It's because it's harder to get it into the overhead bin, and it won't "give" if the bins are jammed." --- travelerjan (more) --Doug Stallings Top photo courtesy of Stephen Witherden.
Member Comments (2) Post a Comment
I am so glad I dropped by your website and even http://thebestcarryonluggage.net I really need a good case to put all my things when my friends and I go on vacation.
A couple points: first, while 22 x 14 x 9 inches is the standard carry-on size in the United States, if you're headed overseas you'll find that many airlines have a smaller maximum size. This is discussed in detail on this page:
Second, this article only covers wheeled luggage, which is always heavier than a shoulder bag or a backpack, which usually run around 3 lbs. If you ask me, a carry on backpack is the way to go for serious "carry on only" travel.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- World's 10 Best Trips for Wine Lovers
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- 20 Gorgeous Seaside Towns in Italy
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- Where to Drink in Chicago Now
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $599 & up -- Western Mediterranean 7-Day Cruise w/ExtrasNorwegian Cruise Line
- $199 -- St. Maarten 4-Star Beach Resort, Save 40%Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten
- $149-$179 -- Weekends at Dallas 4-Star Hotel, Save 40%The Westin Galleria Dallas
- $856 & up -- Costa Rica Volcano & Forest 6-Nt. Trip w/AirTripMasters.com
- $99 & up -- British Virgin Islands Hotels up to 45% OffBritish Virgin Islands Tourism
- $39 & up -- Amtrak: One-Way Northeast Fares, 25% OffAmtrak