High-Speed Train To Link Madrid, Barcelona
In Spain's fascist era, the train system was something of a joke. Its unique gauge made it incompatible with other European train tracks, and its operation was notoriously unreliable and outmoded.
Post-Franco Spain's RENFE, however, is one of Europe's finest train systems, and its pride is the AVE, which stands for "Alta Velocidad Espanola" (Spanish for high speed). The speedy trains can reach 300 kilometers per hour, but their service has so far been limited to only a few routes, starting with the Madrid/Seville corridor in 1992. The tracks have been reaching out slowly from Madrid in the direction of Barcelona, but so far the system can only get travelers as near to the city as Lleida.
Officials now promise that the much-delayed inauguration of what will be one of the world's fastest long-distance trains (up to 350 km/hour) will link Barcelona with Madrid by March of this year. According to the International Union of Railways in Paris, the trip should initially take two hours and fifty minutes, making the train ride competitive with commuter flights.
The first scheduled trains will depart Atocha station in Madrid for Barcelona's Sants station every hour, with a plan to increase frequency to every half hour. Once service is established, the journey will shrink to just under three hours.
You May Also Like
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Last-Minute Memorial Day Deals
- 4 Perfect Southern Summer Itineraries
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- Airline Uniforms Get a Fashion Update
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- Tips from the Jet Set: How to Do Paris Right
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1363* & up -- Premium Economy to London, R/TBritish Airways
- $529 & up -- Summer: Italy-Greece-Turkey 7-Night CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $985 & up -- Panama: 7-Nt. City, Jungle & Beach Tour w/AirLatinEscapes.com
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail HikingLatinEscapes.com