Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dollar for Dollar - Best Camp in the Mara ??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In boxing, they say "pound for pound" to determine who's the best boxer (regardless of weight class).

So.. my question is... considering money (which always needs to be considered!), which do you feel is the best tented camp in the Mara?

Obviously there are some $1000 properties that are amazing.... or $50 properties that are really cheap... but I'm curious to know what Fodorites feel is the "best tented camp for the lowest price"?

Old Oct 11th, 2006, 08:10 PM
santharamhari

You are going to start a boxing match right here....i've only stayed at 3

Governors camp/little Governors and Kitchwa Batleur. I think Little Governor's would be my pick of the three.....basically, for it's location, 3 game drives per day and slightly less expensive compared to Kitchwa Batleur.

I have heard very good things about Rekero tented camp and Serian camp that would be very high on my list if and when i return to the Mara.

Hari

Old Oct 11th, 2006, 08:24 PM

Little G in my opinion (but only place I have stayed).

Ask Sandy she would know.

Kevin
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 05:47 AM
sandi

Thanks Kevin, leave it to me... no, no!

First, and thankfully, so far there are no $1,000/nt camps on a sharing basis. Some single supplements are brushing up close, but have a way to go.

Haven't yet visited all, and as Eben mentions with regards Tanzania, it's almost too difficult to keep up with new properties opening, moving, etc.

Has to depend on what individual traveler/s are seeking, when they are traveling. Some prefer during the Migration to be right in the middle of everything, others, prefer to be out of the way and pleased to be outside the reserve and/or immediate triangle. Also, whether first time safari goers or repeat visitors can have an impact on the decision made.

Small is probably best, and these are the ones that are usually the most costly; they offer personal attention, can schedule activities to your particular interest - when and where and for how long, great food, free access to the Manyattas, 4WD open vehicles.

I've visited some lovely camps in all areas and can't honestly say which is the "best" - though I do seem to return to Saruni when I can as I love the relaxed feeling, large tented chalets, great food and amazing views. It's my place to chill and not necessarily for game, though some of our sightings have been outstanding.

And, surprisingly, some of the so-called "best" may not be all that expensive.

You're going to get a wide variety of responses.

Old Oct 13th, 2006, 05:05 AM

My husband and I stayed at Serian in August (trip report forthcoming...) The whole experience there was amazing and despite the price (close to $1,000 per night) we thought it was excellent value in terms of the quality and location of our tent (on a deck hanging over the Mara), food, game drives (we had our own vehicle, driver and guide - although I'm not sure if this was standard or good luck), and service (special dinners for us, incredibly interesting and knowledgeable hosts, etc.) We loved every minute of it and were really happy we decided to splurge. I haven't stayed elsewhere, for what it's worth.
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 05:41 AM

My vote would be for Rekero. It's not the most luxurious and it will cost $1000 per night. It is in a fantastic location inside the Mara and one of the most remote camps you will find there. It also has some of the best guides in Mara - trained by Rekero's in-house guiding school. It is also one of few camps, where guests can witness migration river crossings without actually leaving the camp.
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 05:47 AM

Here is a link to Rekero's recent updates:

http://rekero.com/news.php
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 05:51 AM
santharamhari

Gaurang,

Your glowing reviews, have put Rekero very high on my list....one of these years.

Katesy, i've heard lots of wonderful things about Serian and would love to hear more about your trip, when you get a chance. Thanks

Hari

Old Oct 13th, 2006, 06:11 AM

I think we all know it is impossible to measure these camps on a "tale of the tape" scale!

But I will bite and play along!

My next visit to the Mara will include a stay at Elephant-Pepper and Serian but also at Rekero and Naibor; the latter excite me a bit more than Serian because of their locations - maybe the 2 best spots in the Mara?

See the map here:

http://www.go-safari.com/Masai%20Mar...MaraCamps1.jpg

At $430 ppn or less with good agents, Naibor (only 7 tents) strikes me as excellent value and when combined with Shompole could be a splendid trip.

http://www.go-safari.com/Masai%20Mara/naibor.htm
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 06:12 AM

not in the mara, but just outstide it is Olonana Camp... as far as i remember it has a huge price difference before or after 30 June... if you can just go end of June before the 30th like we did, i found it very good value, around 250 USD per night per person all incl (so 500 USD for the tent whereas 1000 USD 1st of july on)... the tents are beautiful, the food is among the best we've had and the service is really very good...you don't get a private driver for you alone (unless you pay extra), but they really always do their utter best to serve your wishes...like if one couple wants to go for an extended game drive and another needs to return early, they'll get you another 4WD and driver...Every evening they pass each couple to ask them what they'd like to do, and get it all planned out...Since it's out of the mara area, they also do night drives. The camp is alongside a hippo river, and from our deck and even from a small window in our bathroom, we could look straight on the river...some couples before us saw a lot of wildlife around, but we never made it into the mara as we spent 2 days observing a cheetah family just outside the park. We also visited a masai camp there, and while i didn't like it that much (especially the point where all the woman stood on a row and started singing for us was kinda akward), the guide of olonana, a masai himself, was very interesting... if you just be open and ask questions, you get to hear more than the usual 'tourist explanation', don't be afraid to ask !! By the way, google the name of the camp, and in reality the camp is even nicer than the pictures !!!
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 06:31 AM
santharamhari

Eben,

Seems like Naibor and Rekero are very close by in a good location as mentioned by many ppl. Wow!!! But, with both being small camps, i guess they book up well in advance.....

So Serian from your map, appears to be close by to Kitchwa Batleur etc etc.,

Hari

Old Oct 13th, 2006, 07:50 AM
sandi

To clarify my earlier post, when I indicated no $1,000/nt, I was referring to per person. But for two, yes, there are quite a few that high in price.

Also in the same vicinity of Rekero and Naibor, is Explorer on the river. Expensive in the price range as Bateleur.

Old Oct 13th, 2006, 04:09 PM

Along the lines of this question...

Do you think a private vehicle for one person, staying at Mara Serena is dollar for dollar better or not as good as staying at one of the smaller camps and going on outings with whoever else is in the vehicle?

I'll defin better. Better=higher quality game viewing experience while driving and while at camp. Food quality, hospitality and camp luxury can be ignored in my question.
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 06:40 PM
santharamhari

Lynn,

Good question.....but, that depends on the crowd density in the immediate Serena vicinity? or the particular season of travel? i dont know....let's await responses.

Hari

Old Oct 14th, 2006, 12:56 AM

Crowd density around Serena is normally not bad. Whilst it is a fairly big lodge (70 rooms I think) no other camp is near it so you only usually see people who are staying at the lodge.
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

So, I'm hearing that "all things considered", Mara Serena is the best property for money ??
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 05:11 AM
sandi

You asked about a "camp" and though Mara Serena maybe ideally sited with good price... it's a "lodge."

Camps tend to be more expensive than lodges, so those camps in the vicinity of the Mara River (at various price points) - Rekero, Naibor, Intrepid's, Explorer and the three (3) Governor's properties - maybe more of what you are seeking.

Old Oct 14th, 2006, 05:44 AM

I was just going to state the same as Sandi! "best tented camp" not lodge!

The Serena is almost always full, and getting a private car is almost impossible. So sharing a loaded car + listening through thin walls to the grunting of human neighbors instead of wildlife at night is not my idea of a Mara experience!

To save money one can stay at the Serena and have a driver from far away Nairobi but the insight of most guides who actually live at the tented camps throughout the migration season can really add to the experience. They don't just look for other cars, they drive around daily and they have a better feel and anticipation for good viewing away from the crowds.

Hari, sometimes the opposite is true in terms of bookings!

I was in the Mara this past January. I flew to the airstrip near Mara Safari Club and waited for my Maasai guide and driver to meet me. They got delayed until 9pm and I was thinking of staying the night but the MSC was fully booked!

Yet, I knew there were tents available at Little Govs, Intrepids and Explorer!

You see, the overseas package tour operators (Kuoni, Explore, 2Afrika, etc) don't use the better, smaller camps because they need more rooms. So they flood the larger camps with bookings while the smaller camps may still have space!
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 07:02 AM
santharamhari

Thanks Eben,

Your post made perfect sense!!! Either way, i think a small tented camp in an off-peak month is the best time to visit the Mara?

From all the reading on this thread i would list my choices for a future Mara visit as under:

1.) Rekero/Naibor
2.) Little Governor's (since i loved my stay there in 2002)
3.) Serian (mainly because it is inclusive of prvt vehicle)?

Hari

Old Oct 14th, 2006, 11:00 AM

Thanks for the insightful responses.

I should have just used the term property instead of "camp" or "lodge."

Crowds are another key factor.

Hari, Serian is inclusive of a private vehicle?
If you stay there you get a private vehicle? Or you must have your own guide bring you? I'd like to know more about that setup.

From Eben's comment, a plan to hire a Serena guide that knows the area is almost impossible. I wouldn't consider just a driver from far away who can cover ground. But some guides do "the circuit" frequently and have a good knowledge of a several parks. Regardless I'd want a good guide as that is key.

Watching a river crossing from camp would be awesome at Rekero.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -