Split and Dubrovnik report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is my short trip report to help any future travelers going to these two areas.

We arrived in Split and took the fast bus from the airport right into the main area and we stayed at a lovely low cost apartment there. Nikola, the sharp young and helpful owner, met us at the bus and took us to our apartment. That was very helpful. It was also within 5 minutes walk to market, rests, sites, etc. Here's the website... http://www.croatiasplitapartments.co...scroatiasplit/

We saw the Palace, went on a short bus trip to Trogir, and just took it easy there for
1 1/2 days. That was plenty of time to see it.

We ate at some nice places we just asked about and found. The food is pretty good and it's all cheap there!

We then took the direct bus to Dubrovnik and it was nothing like I'd read on this site. It was a nice bus-no smoking, etc. The scenery was awesome all the way down the coast.

We took a taxi to our apartment overlooking old town Dubrovnik. I was torn between this and staying in old town but was sooo glad we stayed up high with the nice balcony and view. It was awesome! Their site is...
http://www.dubrovnik-online.com/apartments_antonela/

The ladies are very nice there and the apartments are new and nice. The walk up is not that bad at all since you're only doing it once per day. There is a store close by to get wine, etc. too.

We also took the easy boat trip over to Lokrum island. It was nice and serene.

It was all inexpensive and nice.

If you're short on time, just go to Dubrovnik as we thought it was the best of all by far.

After that we went on to other parts of Europe.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 10:04 AM

Hi Donw!

Apts Antonella is where we stayed, too! I just loved it - which one were you in??

I got to feeling so at home there, and was so in love with the view that I almost could not stand leaving.
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 03:42 AM
Original Poster

Yes-the view and balcony were great for sure!

We were in the large one the first 2 nights and then she had to move us to the small one the last night. It was great and I'm so glad I decided to go ahead and get it rather than stay in town!

Old Oct 28th, 2006, 04:08 AM

I'd be interested to hear about your experiences in Dubrovnik. We were there two years ago and loved it. Returned this year as a stop on a cruise and were appalled at the number of tourists packing the town. Our cruise ship (of 2600) was only one of 3 or more that had dumped their passengers on the city that day and the poor little town just couldn't absorb them all. It was sad. Did you experience similar crowding?
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Not that many but there was one ship that hit each day while there. I have read here that in the summer months now, it's a mad house there. I can see where it would be from about 10-3 each day with everyone packed on the main drag there.

It was very nice and everything is so very cheap-WOW! We love to find great values while they last for a while as
we go to Europe twice each year.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 11:10 AM

I am looking at the Antonela apartments for Sept trip.

I am traveling with my mother who is in great shape, but who travels with me as her porter. So how far is this from the old part of town. (I orgingally wanted the Benussi apartments, but they are full)
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 11:21 AM

Bookmarking because I too wondered how far the Antonela apartments were from the Old Town.

Old Mar 6th, 2007, 01:37 PM

Hi Carol and Julia - you will love your trips - wish it was me going back!

Apts Antonella is 248 steps above the Ploce Gate, I counted. The payoff is the view!

We had a rental car and they provided a place to park, so that was great. We would walk down to the old town (easy) and it wasn't so awful coming back up and we are old and out of shape

One night it was late and we took one of the taxi's waiting right outside the gate, it was about $5.

The family was so friendly, three generations living together in the bulding, we really enjoyed our time there!
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 04:37 PM

Thanks!
Now if I can just get the apartment booked. (They responded that they had my original dates yesterday, but I did some "fiddling" with the plan today and need to slide everything a day)

Old Mar 7th, 2007, 09:56 AM

Thank you Happy Cheesehead!
Old May 27th, 2007, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

BTW-there are not many steps as there is another way up, which is just an incline. I'm 59 and overweight and it wasn't a problem for me. If it were, you can get a taxi anywhere for around $5.