What to wear/pack....Part 2

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2005, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a big proponent of packing light, and a while back actually posted the contents of my suitcase for a week's holiday in Italy. This time I'm doing the same thing, but for a two week trip to Europe, the first in Athens for business, the second in Italy for holiday.

One of the questions that I'm always asked about packing light is "why?". Men in particular point out that they are big enough to heft large suitcases about, and women figure they need lots of clothes (particularly if they're going someplace as cool as Greece or Italy). But even when I'm traveling with my husband I insist on small bags, and my husband is actually now a convert.

This trip I was alone, and very glad to have only small rolling suitcase (from Target, the Eddie Bauer line is very nice and very sturdy) and matching small duffle.

I carried on everything from Atlanta to Athens, connecting at JFK (Delta, so generous about carry-on). I'm Medallion so board early and have no trouble getting space for my luggage. If you plan to carry on don't leave boarding until the last minute.

Once in Athens I had to take a public bus to the seaside suburn of Glyfada. Small bags very handy. Once in Glyfada I had to walk to the meeting site, not so easy as it wasn't well marked and having the street address was no help because almost none of the other buildings had street numbers and nobody seemed to know how the system worked. But my bags certainly didn't hold me up---a female colleague who doesn't travel light fortunately arrived on the same bus as some male colleagues who were able to help her with her luggage.

After the meeting I flew from Athens to Rome on Alitalia. My rolling bag was a bit too heavy, so I was required to check it. I shouldn't have asked, as of course most of my fellow passengers hadn't.

I took the train from the airport into Rome (strolling past crowds of passengers with piles of heavy bags) and easily caught my connecting train to Florence. Upon arrival I walked five minutes to my hotel.

Trained from Florence to Venice halfway through my week of holiday. Vaporetto from the station to my B&B at Ca' d'Oro. Small bags easy to get up the narrow stone stairs to my room.

Returned to Atlanta from Venice through CDG. To get to the airport I took the vaporetto to Piazzale Rome and there boarded a public transit bus for the airport (only 2 euro, and the weather was drear, plus the trip's faster by land than by Alilaguna shuttle). I checked my bags on the return flight because I knew that CDG can involve lots of trekking and bus rides, etc. Doing this meant a very real risk that my bags might not make it with me, but since I was returning home it wasn't a big issue.

In the end my bags made it just fine.
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

So, what did I pack?

The first week in Athens was work, a meeting at which I was speaking (to audiences sized from 30 to 300) and so needed to look pretty professional. I'd also be doing a bit of touring during the day and attending various meeting dinners/galas at night (but the nature of these dinners was unknown: party on the beach with a bonfire? dance party? tour of the Plaka at night with dinner at the foot of the Parthenon?). I knew that the days would be warm (they were actually quite hot, hotter than had been predicted) and the nights likely chilly. So up to three different ensembles per day.

Italy was more predictable in terms of my activities, but the weather possibly hot, possibly cool, possibly downright freezing and wet. Most likely two ensembles per day.

Oh, and just in case it's not yet apparent, I'm pretty vain and like to look nice, even when touring. And I like to shop for clothes and gifts when I travel. I did bring an extra bag (packed flat in my suitcase) to bring back purchases but didn't need it.

Did I mention that I travel with my own pillow and sheet?
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Because I brought so much stuff I'm breaking it down into categories.

I'll start with shoes. Shoes are an important decision, as they're bulky and need to be comfortable if you're touring (and even if you aren't---you're likely to walk more in Europe even if you're there for business).

I brought a total of three pairs:

1. black leather boots, very low heel (nearly flat), dress up or down

2. black leather boots, high heel, dressy (but comfortable)

3. black leather mules, mid-heel, dressy but not truly evening (comfortable for meetings and dancing, but not for touring)

I wore the flat boots on the plane, along with black jeans, a white camisole, and a black cotton sweater cardigan trimmed in white. Good travel clothes overall, though the jeans were a bit too loose to start and got looser during my stay.

Old Oct 8th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

I needed fairly formal work clothes for the meeting. As you've likely already gathered from my choice of shoes, black is my "anchor" color of choice.

Clothes I brought specifically for work, that I was unlikely to wear on holiday unless my plans changed, included

1. black blazer, very tailored, in a non-wrinkling material from Ann Taylor

2. black and white tailored trousers (not exactly houndstooth check, a bit more subtle), also non-wrinkling, also from Ann Taylor

I also brought several more pairs of trousers, all in some sort of non-wrinkling fabric:

1. black, to wear with flat boots (two pairs, one cut a bit looser than the other)

2. black, to wear with high boots or mules (two pairs, one cut a bit looser than the other)

3. taupe, to wear with high boots (I can't wear black all the time, can I?)

In addition to the jeans I'd worn on the plane, I brought

4. lightweight black denim jeans, to wear with high boots

And I brought a skirt, because I wanted to:

5. black and cream print knee-length skirt to wear with mules
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Layers are key to traveling light---you can change a look easily, accomodate changes in the weather, cover up if you're unexpectedly visiting a church.

In addition to the black and white cardigan I wore on my way to Athens, I brought another

1. black cotten sweater cardigan

I also brought two large scarves that serve as shawls, both of which I'd purchased on previous trips to the south of France. I did mention that I like to shop, right?

2. orange cotton provencal print

3. black silk chiffon provencal print

While in Florence I bought a

4. heavy woven silk print in pink and orange and cream

And of course I had my work blazer if I needed a heavier wrap.
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Underwear and socks are important, not only because they are key to your comfort while traveling, but also because they can take up a lot of space.

I wear microfiber everything, as they pack small and dry easily. I took

1. 10 pairs of panties

2. 3 bras (I don't wear one when I travel, as I find them uncomfortable if I'm trying to sleep and underwires can set off metal detectors at airports, though they're mostly plastic anyway these days).

3. 8 pairs of trousers socks (why 8? because that's how many I had clean when I packed, that's why)

By the end of my trip I was pretty sick of my bras, and bought two nice new ones in Venice at a shop around the corner from my B&B, pitching the others in the trash. I actually wore one out of the shop, leaving the old one in the trash there. This only took a few minutes, as the shop girl was very helpful and ran off to get me different sizes and cuts and colors as necessary.

I washed out panties and socks (actually used hotel shampoo---I'm not about to actually put that stuff on my hair) once in Greece and once in Venice. No problem drying overnight.
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 10:52 AM

Therese, I love your packing sense and read your previous thread about your suitcase contents.

My question is a bit off topic because I would like to know if you thought it was possible to pack light if your schedule included attending a wedding in Provence in August plus three weeks of vacation travel following the wedding.

I understand the need to pack light but I think weddings in France involve hats, day suits for women and fun dressy clothes for evening parties, items I don't associate with packing light . I just don't see how I can pack light for this trip. Luckily I have many months to plan the perfect wardrobe.

We will be a family of four traveling by train and car so the less luggage the better.

Thanks for any suggestions,Deborah
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Toiletries similarly important to ones comfort, and also potentially bulky and heavy.

When possible, use travel sizes and "low moisture" products: solid deodorant contains less water than gel products. Cream leave-in conditioners contain less water than wash out conditioners. Why bring six lipsticks when one or two will do?

Try and use up toiletries while you're there so that you can throw away the container for your return trip. Do you really need to bring home that last teaspoon of shampoo, or the end of the bar of soap?

I won't list what I brought with me, but I will point out that I threw away about half of it for the return trip, as it had been used up. I did buy some things along the way, including

1. three tubes of Marvis toothpaste: strong mint, jasmine mint, and ginger mint

2. perfume, including Mugler's Cologne (purchased in Glyfada), Patou's Sublime, Dior's Tendre Poison, and something new from Dior that I can't recall the name of (in Venice duty free). All of these are difficult to find in the U.S., so worth the effort (to me) of bringing them home.
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

DeborahAnn, I think you'd have no problem doing wedding trip/holiday you're describing. For evening parties in that part of the world in August you'll want silk---very easy to pack compactly and wash by hand if need be. A couple of coordinating slip dresses and shawl-size scarves and you're all set.

For the day suit aspect of things I'd go with a tailored jacket (hmm, maybe a sort of tone-on-tone brocade, you could use that to pair with other things, or over one of the slip dresses) and a flippy short skirt in something non-wrinkling. You can use the skirt later with a casual top.

Shoes important---you may be doing a lot of walking the day of the wedding, possibly over pea gravel or cobbles, and end up standing in a garden for some of the events. Mules are great, as they're more forgiving of swollen feet, you needn't have a perfect pedicure, and you can slip them off once you're seated.

Forego panty hose if you can possibly manage.

As for the hat, nothing wide-brimmed, and I'd probably try and buy it once I was there. A nice memento of the trip.
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 11:19 AM

thanks, Therese, the suggestions sound perfect and very packable. You are a packing light marvel and quick thinking as well. thanks again, Deborah
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

I clearly wear trousers more than once, but can't really do so with tops unless it's cold weather, and it turned out to be hotter than I'd expected.

I brought with me, in addtion to the camisole I wore on the plane

1. black V-neck 3/4 length sleeve dressy T-shirt

2. white V-neck, 3/4 length sleeve dressy T-shirt

3. black deep V-neck T-shirt with gathered bodice

4. olive green V-neck T-shirt with embossed neckline (purchased on previous trip to Greece)

5. white fitted embroidered blouse (purchased on previous trip to Spain)

6. white rib knit sleeveless shell

7. black and white silk halter top

8. orange paisley sleeveless silk top with gathered bodice

I did wash out a couple of items along the way, but also did what I'd planned on doing all along, went shopping. Note that I could have packed the equivalent, as everything I list fit into my bags for the return trip.

So, I purchased

1. three fitted summer blouses (white, lilac, and aqua), good for work in Greece

2. four stretch sleeveless shells (white, black, red, olive---these fit closely, and work without a bra if you're not too, um, endowed)

3. aqua cotton gauze blouse

4. aqua fitted embroidered blouse (very similar to the one I'd bought in Spain)

I also purchased three peasant style tops for my 12 year old daughter and one T-shirt (with funny Italian cartoons on them) each for daughter and 15 year old son.

I'd hoped to buy a couple of dresses, but couldn't find anything I liked well enough.
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

DeborahAnn, tell us what you ended up doing in the end. I went to a wedding outside of Nice when I was a teenager and it was very cool indeed.

Any other questions from anybody out there? Like "what's up with traveling with your own pillow and sheet?" And "what else did you buy?"
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 11:40 AM

Therese, I will be sure to tell you all about the wedding. It promises to be quite the affair. I am really looking forward to the trip. I'm saving this thread for future planning.

My husband and I are going to Italy next month, our first time there and I have the packing light down pat (in my mind at least). I haven't actually started the packing process yet. I want to wait to see what turns the weather may take first

thanks again for a well written and informative thread. Deborah
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Does your husband also subscribe to the "pack light" point of view? And are the other members of the family your children (so you can pack for them) or potentially troublesome in-lawys or siblings?

Oh, and I forgot to mention a couple of clothing items that I'd brought with me.

1. white cotton peasant style top

2. white cotton long nightgown (I was rooming with a friend in Italy, so couldn't sleep as I usually do)
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 12:46 PM

Hello therese, your clothes sound beautiful and perfect. What size was your small suitcase, the Eddie Bauer one? I ask because I have gotten rid of all my older pieces of luggage and now just have a 29 inch one that is usually to large (and consequently to heavy) for my needs. And although I know you packed "light" you really did manage to bring quite a nice collection of clothes so consequently I was curious as the size of your luggage. Thank you.
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Looks like the Eddie Bauer model that I bought's been discontinued (per the Target web site, though you might still find them in the stores). I've got a total of three of the rolling suitcases (which are somewhere in the 20" to 22" range) for myself and my two kids, and more recently got a matching medium-sized duffle that Delta lets me call my "personal item" (I fit my purse inside of it when I'm traveling). They're red with black trim, but not the "Mt Baker" line presently featured on the Target web site (check out www.target.com for other options).

I've been really happy with this luggage, as it was inexpensive to begin with and has held up really well to lots of travel. Very sturdy zippers that withstand significant pressure from overpacking (heh heh, like I'd know anything about that), in large part because the zippers aren't on the seams of the bag itself. So the "mouth" of the suitcase is slightly smaller, but the zippers are spared the strain of much of the contents.

The other Eddie Bauer suitcases featured on the web site look like they'd also be very good. The "Tahoe" is an unusual green color called "Laurel Leaf", handy for ID'ing your bag on the luggage carousel.
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 01:22 PM

Therese, I am also enjoying your tips for packing light. I am curious what you do for traveling in winter, as sweaters and such can get so bulky. I will be in Venice and Florence for two weeks in February and see that it could be anywhere from 20 to 50 degrees F, plus possibly (probably?) rainy. I have been planning on carrying on my 20" suitcase, plus a small tote bag. Any suggestions?
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Shadowcat, the answer is layering. When it's really cold (and it can get really really cold in Venice in February---the wind is cold and wet) you'll get a lot of benefit from a very light layer very close to your skin (under everything else, obviously). Either long underwear (silk feels great, microfiber also nice) or just tights/stockings with a thin knit top will work.

Take a waterproof hooded jacket (try and find something stylish if you care---Lands End is a good source) that's lined in some way, either hip or knee length (or even a duster if you like that look). Don't pack it, wear it onto the plane and store it in the overhead for the flight.

The hood's a very nice feature, as you can turn against the wind. I'd bring a lightweight stocking cap to wear underneath (just in case it's really bitter cold---can you tell I've been in bitter cold in Europe?) and don't forget gloves. Buy a scarf while you're there---lots of great scarves in Florence.

You will, of course, want sweaters as well. Sweaters are extremely compressible (the air they trap is why they're so warm), and this is one instance in which I'd invest in some sort of compressible bag for packing them. Just a couple, as you'll be wearing them over other layers and so they won't be getting dirty in the same way that summer tops get dirty.
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 01:45 PM

Hi shadowcat, I know Therese will have better answers then I do but here is what I do when I travel in winter. I wear a Tshirt underneath the pullover sweeater. That helps with warmth and keeps the sweaters clean so you can wear them more times. I find in cold weather clothes stay cleaner longer also compared to travelling when it is hot and muggy. If you can put another duffle bag folded up into your luggage you could buy a few sweaters in Italy (I love their sweaters) and use checkin on the way home.

Therese, thank you for the luggage information. I have a Target store real close to where I live so I will check out their selection and will also look at their website.

Having some color on the bag would be great, especially with checkin luggage (which I always do). And airlines are so careless with luggage that I don't want to ever again spend a lot of money on luggage. Just want exactly what you have...thanks again for your information. Best wishes.
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Thought of some more stuff I brought on this trip...

1. black evening bag, big enough to fit my very flat wallet and a camera and lipstick

2. novel to read on the plane, Margaret Atwood's "Oryx and Crake" (a great read, by the way)

3. DK guidebook to Venice (my friend was arriving in Florence a day before me, so she was in charge of the Florence DK book)

4. work papers (fortunately not too many, but more than I wanted to bring); I pitched these when I left Greece

I'm a bookaholic, so in Venice I bought

5. two small paperbacks in Italian

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -