Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Last minute tickets to the ballet at the Opera Garnier in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All:

I was hoping to see Cinderella at the Opera Garnier in Paris in late April, but the first time I checked the tickets weren't on sale yet on the internet, and now checking again last week on both FNAC and the opera site they say that internet tickets are sold out

Has anyone had experience buying tickets last minute at either the box office or the reduced ticket stand at Montparnasse? I am not sure they are even offered there? I don't know if this is a particularly popular ballet, but thought a Paris based ballet lover might be able to give me some hints. We want to go on the 27th of April and I arrive the 18th, so I could maybe check in person the day we get in at the box office....

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 09:31 AM

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but if your experience is anything like ours, you're going to be out of luck.
We, too, tried and failed in advance and then had a similar fate at the box office.
Still, I hope you have better luck than we had.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 09:37 AM

yes, I have successfully gotten ballet tickets at the box office within a day or two of performance. Perhaps the ones I went to were not as in demand as the one you want to see, however, one can't predict. You have nothing to lose by trying.

I don't think they sell ballet tickets at that reduced ticket place. If they are sold out or almost so, obviously they would not need to dump them at half price, in any case. I really don't think they ever have ballet tickets there, though.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all.....looks like it is worth trying the book office anyway a few days before. I agree with Christina that it probably isn't going to happen at the 1/2 price place though.
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 05:56 AM

Hi, I just did some research and thought this might be useful. I'm especially interested in hearing more from other people's experiences -- those who actually tried to get last-minute tickets.

From http://www.opera-de-paris.fr/?Rub=To...SSRub=Reserver

I see the stuff I've quoted below. My French isn't good enough to decode everything, but I called them directly at 33 1 72 29 35 35 to ask. I got a French guy who was very helpful and friendly.

(This is for Garnier.)

1. If there're returns, you can get expensive seats at cheaper prices. This starts 10-15 minutes before the performance.

2. When I checked availability for the performance I wanted, the web showed no availability, but there was actually one seat available via phone at 60 euros.

3. I was told that if I were physically present in Paris and could go to the opera house, I could get the cheaper seats at prices below 20 euros.

4. I had a "unique" question. Since my schedule is tight and I'm more interested in seeing the opera house, I asked if I could show up after a performance and get tickets. The answer was no. But obviously I could get in during an intermission (but I'd need to have gotten a ticket prior).

"Places de dernière minute"

Le soir même du spectacle, 15 minutes avant le début de chaque représentation, un tarif spécial est accordé aux moins de 28 ans, aux cartes vermeil et aux demandeurs d'emploi dans la limite des places disponibles, sur présentation d'un justificatif.

Places debout - Opéra Bastille Chaque soir, 45 minutes avant le début du spectacle, 32 places debout sont mises à la vente au tarif unique de 5 (catégorie 9).
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 08:35 AM

To add to this, from the same link:

Réservez vos places par téléphone, en contactant nos chargés de relations avec le public au 0 892 89 90 90 (0,337€ la minute) du lundi au vendredi de 9 h à 18 h et le samedi jusqu'à 13h.
Depuis l'étranger, composez le 00 33 (1) 72 29 35 35

In France, the number is different -- and my personal experience says that the two may give different info.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 08:52 AM

Thanks 111op. My French is pretty terrible, but as I read the extract, you have to be under 28, a holder of a red card (?) or unemployed to get the last minute tickets. Is that right?
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 09:07 AM

My French is not that good -- yes, there seems to be something to this effect, but neither B nor I were told of special restrictions when we called.

We were just told that return tickets become greatly reduced 15 minutes prior to curtain.

As I said, what ended up happening is that we bought the cheapest tickets at 7 euros each from the box office. The difference is that when B called the 08 number in France, he was told that there're no such tickets, whereas I called the 01 number from the US and I was clearly told that they're available (but only in person).

But to be honest, the side boxes are excellent value.

And I just checked Garnier's webpage. Admission to the opera house is 7 euros. If you can buy a cheap ticket for 7 euros, the decision is a no-brainer for me even if the seat is not an orchestra seat.

Hope this helps!
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 09:10 AM

And obviously, the other risk with last-minute tickets is that you need to go stand in line early (even though the prices are reduced only 15 minutes prior to curtain).

I'd be interested in knowing if anyone here actually did try the last-minute route. As I said, B decided not to, and I think that he made the right choice. I was very happy with how the evening turned out.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 12:38 PM

Hi 111op. I'm confused. I take it from your post that you did not stand in line last minute. When did you purchase your 7e tix? Where were your seats?

Thanks for any help you can provide. My french stinks (therefore reading the website is difficult)and I have my heart set on seeing Marriage of Figaro on the 24th!
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 01:18 PM

My friend in Paris went to the box office around 4 pm the day of the performance (I think) -- sometime in that afternoon, in any case. He bought the 7 euro tickets. So neither of us went to stand in line.

They were in a side box. Quite amazing, really. I was just telling a friend about this today. For comparison, in Carnegie Hall, the First Tier seats are actually the most expensive.

Also surprising: I went shopping in Paris the day I arrived. My friend met me to give me my ticket. The performance started at 7:30. I was a few minutes late and figured that I'd get in during intermission. I was led to the box by an usher almost immediately.

But obviously call the box office anyway (there is a number with an English speaking person) if you're set on seeing "Figaro." I've only done this once, so I don't know if it's a fluke.

I've noticed that the web doesn't quite reflect real availability and prices. For example, I've a ticket to see "Goetterdaemerung" at Chatelet. I called to buy a ticket that's 20 euros. Nowhere on the website is there a 20 euro category. In fact, the web showed only seats in the really expensive categories when I called.

As I mentioned, the guided tour for Garnier is 7 euros, I think. So why not see a performance and tour the opera house at once? It was the first one I went inside Garnier.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 01:36 PM

Thanks! I'll do my best and report my success.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:51 PM

Hate to be simplistic - but have you contacted the concierge at your hotel? I'm sure they can get you tickets if you're willing to pay the price - and if not can perhaps tell you which other options have the best chance of success.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:00 PM

Yes, thanks, I have.